Author Topic: Got one!  (Read 640 times)

Offline 7x57

• Trade Count: (0)
Got one!
« on: September 15, 2003, 06:51:46 AM »
I took the two kiddlets,( daughter 4, son 21 months)and the dog out on friday to pass time before my 11:30am class.  A short walk into my favorite cutover we saw 3 bucks. My son spotted them and squeeked deeeww deeeww real loud! The deer ran off uphill  and I ran right after them(elk hunting trick.) I crested the hill, saw two flags vanish and then a flicker to my right. The buck was later paced at 138 yards, but after running an equal distance uphill, in rough cutover, after 3 unexpected deer I was WAY too shakey! I bent down and took three deep breaths. I aimed again and fired, the bullet hit some twigs I hadn't seen between me and the deer but still somehow got through. The buck was a 3 point and the smallest of the group, he went just 15 feet. In my experience 160 grand slam home loads in 7x57 are like some controlled form of freaking lighting. :eek:

The entire hunt took an hour and fifteen minutes from door to butcher.  My daughter was a great help with cleaning and my son had fun playing with the antlers(still in velvet.)

To the couple who found me on the side of the road, rifle slung across front, son in 1 arm, daughter piggyback, blood up to elbows, dragging deer with other hand,sweating like a pig, and grinning ear to ear, THANKS for helping me wash up and load the deer, hope my tips work out for you!!!!!!!! Good luck to all and remember to take your kids hunting!!!! :D
Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Got one!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 12:13:31 PM »
:lol: You must be in pretty good shape.  I have taken both of my boys out but they had to walk themselves.  I have drug out their deer in the past.  Now they are both bigger than me . . . and am I going to be glad for the young lads helping their dad out when he gets winded dragging out his buck. :lol:  :lol:

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline 7x57

Got one!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 09:19:47 AM »
Thanks Longwinters, I'm a fan of your posts.   And yeah, I'm a young guy,
6'3  215lbs  in perfect shape for packing elk! That little buck wasn't much of a problem to drag.

Good to hear that your cubs still hunt with ya.  

Let me know how you do this year.
Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.

Offline HHI #4694

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Got one!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 05:19:47 PM »
Nice, the 7 x 57 is classic killer! :wink: