Author Topic: what to rattle with?  (Read 481 times)

Offline ttank0789

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
what to rattle with?
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »
I'm debating whether or not I want to use real antlers or get a rattling bag to use for rattling. I have a set of antlers but I tend to hit my knuckles sometimes which is very unpleasant. When looking at products to use besides antlers, the Flextone Battle Bag and the Knight & Hale Pack Rack caught my eye. Has anyone used these or are there other products I should look at? Or would real antlers be the way to go?
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
Re: what to rattle with?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
I've used a rattling bag but always seem to go back to my real antlers for the best effect. Saw off the brow tines if that's what you're banging your knuckles with. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't take big rattling antlers to bring in big bucks, just use more of the "meat" or thicker part of the antler to produce a deeper sound.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »
I'm of the opinion that bow hunters should NOT do things to call attention to themselves and to me rattling definitely falls into the category of don't for the most part. Buck to doe ratios are grossly off these days on most all public lands and many private land areas. Unless your buck to doe ratio is pretty well in line so that there is a good deal of competition for does to breed I personally think rattling hurts more than helps. I realize it has worked for some but in the areas I hunt with 10-15 does per buck I've never yet seen a buck react in a positive way to rattling.

When bow hunting the most I'd do is some soft grunting. My old grunt call has brought in a lot of both bucks and does to me and only once when I tried it on an already spooky buck up too close but just out of bow range has it had a negative effect.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:45:29 AM »
I should have added, I only rattle when using a decoy. I rattle only in the AM, and I don't start rattling until I've given the deer time to get their normal travel going, they will come to the decoy with just a few short grunts. I also don't beat on the antlers like you see some guys doing, a little "sparring" is about it. Sounds like a lot of conditions, but I agree with GB that it can do more harm than good. I've seen it work, but it's not my first choice. To me the decoy is more valuable.  Our buck to doe ratios have improved here over the past 5 years as they've tried to control our deer herd by issuing unlimited doe permits for the most part, so that helps. About 2 weeks ago I saw 6 young bucks/forks and 6's running together, something I've never seen around here.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 05:07:59 AM »
I have owned all of the rattling bags etc and there is nothing that beats real antlers.  One thing to remember is that is is almost impossible to rattle back a buck back that has already passed you.  It seems like they respond only part of the time in any circumstance but actually you have nothing to lose.  Just be sure you don't rattle or grunt when a buck is looking your direction and do both of them sparingly.  The best noise is no noise and the best scent is no scent. Just fit in and wait.  Its kinda like crappie fishing--you have to use a little imigination and believe when bowhunting.
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!