Author Topic: Source for full size barrell  (Read 721 times)

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Source for full size barrell
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
I'd like to build a full size field artillery piece.  It doesn't have to be rifled. A muzzleloading, steel, fixed breech gun would be fine.  I'd like to build the carriage and wheels personally (for the satisfaction of doing so), but I know I'll have to either purchase the barrell or will have to get it made locally.  I have a few questions in regards to starting my research:

1). What are the dimensions of a full size parrot barrell (inner, outer, length, etc).  A link to plans would be great if you know of any...

2). Do ya'll have any recomendations on where to buy one/ how much should I expect to pay?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Source for full size barrell
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »
Go down the l ist of cannon makers on the internet resource list.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
Most of the full size field pieces of Civil War vintage are 6 feet (plus or minus) long.  Get a plan folio from Antique Ordnance Publishers for the gun you want.  A paltrey sum compared with what the gun will cost.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 03:24:43 AM »
I don't see that any of our sponsors sell full size cannon barrels.  Do some of the sponsors price these on a custom order basis (if so, who)?

I did find some online, but I'm just not sure how well these are made:
http://www.hernironworks.com/cannons.html

Thank ya'll,

NitroSteel

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 04:40:18 AM »
ask armorer77 and dominick

I dont know if anyone of them got machines large enough to handle a full scale cannon
but I would at least ask them before I would think of a cast iron barrel
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:51:57 AM »
I have heard, (on this forum) that Hern Barrels are good.
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 04:53:58 AM »
Also, for full size barrels, Steen Cannon and Ordnance are quite well spoken of! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:52:37 AM »
yes they are , but still you can never compare a cast iron barrel to a steel barrel
the difference is like day and night
something that shows the strength of steel is armorers recent post when he try to blow up his barrel
I would love to see a similar test on a cast iron barrel

a few hundred years back they had the 1:1 ratio bore/wall for bronze cannons
at the same time the ratio was 1,3 - 1,5 wall thickness for cast iron cannons

I have had that discussion here in sweden with some members of a forum
who have been making cast iron copies of original bronze cannons
they made them identical to the bronze cannons in dimensions , but in cast iron
I tried to explain for them that their cannons wasnt safe to use
but I believe they just ignored the message
now Ive seen how those cannons have been advertised with some low quality carriages
on the swedish ebay
who knows when someone will have an accident with them

but I dont mean that hern barrels are a bad choice, just that you should check if they have a real sleve in them with a good breach plug construction
some say the sleeve should be 3/8" thick , but in such a large caliber I would recomend minimum 1/2"
preferably even more
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
It really depends on what you plan to do or expect from your barrel and how much money you have.  Our group has barrels from Steen, South Bend, and Hern.  All three are cast iron with 1/2" thick steel liners & breech plugs, the difference in construction & price (which is considerable!!) is how they are made.

Both Steen & South Bend are cast over sized and solid, lathe turned and bored, with a smooth or rifled liner installed as specified by the buyer.  Steen will sell you a smooth or rifled barrel alone, South Bend will only sell you a smoothbore alone, their rifled barrels must be purchased with a PBO carriage.  They are both top notch, but very pricey running $8,000 on up.

Hern are cast around the steel liner to close to exact final dimensions with no machining.  Trunnions will not be perfectly round, the overall exterior finish is as cast, and sold with no vent.  Once you drill a vent the liability of firing the piece is on you and not the maker (you must sign a wavier to this effect).  With a lot finishing work they can be made to look very nice and are great for reenacting with blanks.  Some people shoot them live, but organized shooting events have been known to exclude them from shooting, or restrict them to using small reduced loads.  They run about $1,500.  They are a great deal as long as you know what you are getting and use it appropriately.

Steen & South Bend can handle original full service loads and you know the bore will be perfectly centered.

A properly made steel tube would be ideal and super strong, but only if it is made properly!  I have read horror stories about improperly made steel barrels.  Remember, you get what you pay for...

Anthony

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 07:10:15 AM »
Links to Steen, Sout Bend, Paulsen Bros and Hern are found on the GBO Sponsors & Internet Blackpowder Cannons related links.  Click on the link and scroll down to the links list.

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
I appreciate all of the help, I will research these manufacturers.  Do any of ya'll know of website that has the approximate dimensions listed, or do you have them written down somewhere?  It appears that the overall length on one of these is 78 inches.  What is the diameter of the sleeve, and the diameter of the barrell at the spot at the forward end of the sleeve, and the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? 

I'm not planning on starting for a while and am really just brain storming.  I want to go with an all steel piece, so that I never wonder what's going to happen...  I'm just wandering if I might be able to gather the materials over time and get a local machine shop to do the work.  I will order the plans, but am debating on a piece of steel at a local shop that is starting to get in the way.  I'm quite sure that it would be a smooth bore if done locally... 

Thank ya'll again.

NitroSteel

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »
 Nitrosteel,

You may not have noticed since it's not noted on the page with the pictures, but Hern has a full scale 2.9" Parrott (3" bore), with a 1/2" wall liner on their price list page for $1581.75. A 1/2" liner at that bore size is pretty substantial, so should be very safe. An email to Hern would be best to get the other dimensions you want.

If you want an all steel gun, I'd ask what Dom Carpenter could do. If you don't have your heart set on a Parrott, I know he's done some other full-scale barrels. I think he recently posted pics of a full-scale mountain howitzer he built. Plenty of boom and a lot lighter than a Parrott.

Using a machine shop that doesn't normally make cannons isn't the best way to go IMO. With Dom, you get a firm quote and know you'll have a safe gun, to your specs, and in a reasonable amount of time. He's also on the same side of the country as you are, so shipping cost will be reasonable.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes