Author Topic: What do the Roman numerals signify?  (Read 498 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
What do the Roman numerals signify?
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »
A number of the Spanish cannons at USNA have Roman numerals carved into the top of the basering. Here's a specific example from the cannon named "Jesus."

The upper mark is a weight mark, possibly meaning 29 quintales and one arroba, something over 2900 Spanish pounds. ??

The lower mark seems to be "XXXIIII (diamond) 1A" or
"34 (diamond) 1A."

Was this mark one applied at the foundry as a sort of serial number for the gun?

I recall a scene from one of the "National Geographic" special shows about treasure hunter Mel Fisher's exploits in finding the ATOCHA treasure. In it, his helper, Dr. Eugene Lyone supposedly used a similar number on one of the recovered cannons to determine that the wreck was indeed the ATOCHA. He located the number in the ship's manifest in "Archive of the Indies" in Spain.

The slideshow contains a number of views of these carved-in markings on this particular cannon. This set of marks is about the best-preserved on any cannon at USNA. Some are barely legible or perhaps gone due to acid rain corrosion over the years.

Maybe Bob Smith would know this?

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums47/?action=view&current=36bf39b0.pbw

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: What do the Roman numerals signify?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »
Do you Know what the "Pe" that precedes 29 q, is meant to signify?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:41 AM »
I think some huligan have engraved his email address there  ;D
sorry , just couldnt resist that
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:46:39 AM »
Do you Know what the "Pe" that precedes 29 q, is meant to signify?

I think that's one of a few similar abbreviations for "weight" in Spanish.  I think the word "Peso" can mean weight, for example.  I see some Spanish guns with "P", some with "Po" etc., there doesn't seem to have been a fixed abbreviation, but they always include the letter "P."  I'm pretty sure the letter after 29 is for "quintales" a weight unit (100 Spanish pounds.)  The @ sign I know means "arrobas" and I will have to look that one up again, maybe 25 lbs?