3 (20%)
21-30
6 (40%)
31-40
0 (0%)
41 or more
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Factory Primer Carrier  (Read 1140 times)

Offline smokepole06

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Factory Primer Carrier
« on: September 16, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »
Love them or Hate them, please answer the following:
What is the most number of shots or longest time in use for a single primer carrier???

I have heard on average they may last 30 times. Lets find out.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Factory Primer Carrier
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:19:01 PM »
I have used one for over 60 shots before, just to see how long it would last. The plastic was all washed out, and the blowback was horrendous, but it would still have worked. I really don't like the primer carriers, and haven't used them in years. I have several custom breech plugs that use a bare 209 primer with no blowback.

The blowback starts with the first shot and progressively gets worse with each additional shot. The company stated 20 shots per carrier, they will do it, but not well.

On the other hand, I have had some only last just one shot. I shot a 3 shot group with 80 grains of Black Mag'3 and a 430 grain lead conical and blew all three primers, locking themselves in the carrier and splitting the plastic.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline smokepole06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:40:45 AM »
"I have several custom breech plugs that use a bare 209 primer with no blowback"

What kinds do you have? MU, ACP, Hubbard, Others?

Offline Reese

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:37:25 AM »
The factory carrier that I used before getting the PR .25 ACP plug, had over 50 shots on it.  As Busta said, it gets washed out, but I refused to stock up on them when I knew I was going to buy a different breech plug (PR .25 ACP).  I now have the MU breech plug and it is much better IMO than the PR plug. 

I had my dad over the other week to sight in muzzleloaders.  He saw the MU in action and wished he could get one for his TC Omega.  Removing the spent primer was effortless in the MU plug.  He has to wrestle to get the 209 primer out of his Omega.  I had that same problem with the PR plug, that is why I tried the MU plug.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 06:35:43 AM »
"I have several custom breech plugs that use a bare 209 primer with no blowback"

What kinds do you have? MU, ACP, Hubbard, Others?

All of the above. "Others" was a one time deal.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline smokepole06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
Looks like the avg is about what factory claims.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
I liked tham at first, butam glad I dont use them anymore. I have the myu and 25 acp. I like both
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.