Author Topic: Help choosing scope  (Read 689 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Help choosing scope
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:09:23 AM »
Hello everyone,
   I need a little help choosing a scope for a new rifle.  I have a Win M70 30-06 that I had accurized into a McMillan stock with Edge Technology to help minimize weight.  Keeping weight in mind, I have set the following preferences for a scope.
  • not heavier than 14oz
  • 40-50mm objective
  • no less than 2x low-end power
  • no more than 12x max power
  • 1" or 30mm main tube
  • no more than $800

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Help choosing scope
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:09:43 AM »
A good place to compare stats of many brands is either BearBasin or SWAFA.  Their prices are among the best as well.  Both companies offer trained personnel to share their opinions.  Warranty should also be a consideration.   CP

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:14:02 AM »
Look no further than a Leupold VX-3 in 3.5-10x40mm or 3.5-10x50mm.

yooper77

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:26:42 AM »
I bought a scope for my M70 30-06 last year. I bought a 3x9x40 VX-III. I ordered it from the custom shop and got a post & duplex reticle. You can order from the Leupold custom shop IF the scope options are not available over the counter (ie: reticle, finish, or parallax setting). You save $$$ ordering direct from the custom shop (shipping is free). I looked at scopes that would fit a M70 long action and did not need extension rings (the M70 is a .375 H&H length). I found the VX-II 3x9x40mm,FX-2 6X36mm, the FX-3 6X42mm (a really good scope), the VX-III 3.5X10X40mm, and the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40mm would fit and have enough eye relief for me.  The 1" diameter Leupold scopes are the lightest in their class. A 30mm diameter scope will be heavier. A 50mm diameter objective lens will make your rig look and maybe feel top heavy. The Leupold heavy duplex is a good all around reticle IMHO. Not good for tiny groups at the range but better for hunting. The man that designed the Boone & Crocket reticle uses a heavy duplex for ranges up to 400 yards on elk and mule deer.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »
Leupold VarX II 3-9X40 LRD
LRD= Long range Duplex
Around $300.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
That is a VERY STRANGE set of criteria and quite honestly I doubt that scope exists. Much of what you have listed is mutually exclusionary and impossible to obtain.

Your weight limit rules out ALL 50mm objectives and 30mm tubes I believe.

I refuse to use a scope of 10x or more unless it has a parallax adjustment feature as I have found 9X to be about all I can use effectively due to parallax unless it is adjustable.

I think your best candidate for meeting most of your criteria is really a Leupold 3-9 or a VX-III 2.5-8. Those are the two I most often chose for such use as you describe.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »
I agree w GB...I was going to suggest a new Vari X II 2x7 as they are VERY light...or a 3x9 pretty much the same weight.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »
Gents,
   Thanks for the info.  I own a few and have used several Leupold riflescopes with great results.  If there was something newer that fit the criteria, then this is the place with the folks that would know. I think I will go with the Leupold VX-3 riflescope 3.5-10x40 with CDS or LRD.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:14:23 AM »
The problem with the VX-II 2x7 and VX-III 2.5x8 is the tube length will allow them to be mounted on a M70 long action but moving the scope forward or back for eye relief isn't an option without extension rings. I'm not a "leaner" to get on a scope. It is uncomfortable to me. IMHO most scopes are too short these days for mounting on long actions.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:39 AM »
Good point dave...I find that I use extension rings on about half of my rifles.  Especially my Ruger #1's.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »
I use both the Leupold 2-7 and 2.5-8 on Remington 700 long actions with no problem regarding placement but the 2.5-8 does require just the right ring/base combo to even fit it. I do agree too many now are too short for long action rifles. That's where the Leupold 3-9 really shines. I'd go with it any day over the 3.5-10 which I've owned several of. For me they are not useable at higher powers without an AO and if you have an AO you MUST use it which is a pain for a hunting rifle to me. The 3-9 really is as good as it gets for the use to which this rifle will be put.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 05:39:31 AM »
To save a little weight you may want to go with the Weaver 3-9X38.
I have several and they are every bit as clear and bright as my Var X II's