Author Topic: Remington 260 build  (Read 336 times)

Offline jacksrbtr46

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • H&R 45-70 SS Ultra Hunter, H&R 45-70 Lam Straight
Remington 260 build
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:06:56 AM »
I want a Handi in Rem 260.  I want to build one.  After reading all the searches on the Rem 260.  I am trying to decide on which barrel/gun to purchase for the begining.  I am leaning toward the 24" 223 bull barrel, 2nd choice 24" 223 fluted.  I want it to be a tack driver.  Has anyone done this?  Would it be better to get a custom barrel (like a Shilen) and have a lug welded on?  Factual opinions please not speculations.  Tim your advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am leaning toward having Wayne York of, Oregunsmithing, LLC, do the work.  I don't want to break the bank building it either, if it gets to expensive I'll just buy a Remington 700 in 260.

Thanks
Jack
Aim small, miss small....                                      

When life throws you a curve, you learn to swerve...

Yesterday is a memory....
Today is the reality,....
Make the most of it....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Remington 260 build
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
Wayne ended up making my 6.5x55 a stub instead of welding a lug on the Shilen blank, he originally suggested welding a donor lug on, but it ended up being more work that he wanted to tackle. I wanted a barrel longer that 24", so I went with a blank, but if the 24" will work for you, having a 24" 223 bull barrel rebored would be great.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain