Author Topic: How About a 44 Special That Weights 7.5 oz  (Read 1682 times)

Offline powhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How About a 44 Special That Weights 7.5 oz
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
I have a nice American 44spl Derringer lightweight. Nice short range pocket gun but really kicks. Been carring WW Silvertips. I want to load some 220gr waddcutters I have on hand. How much speed do you think they need to be effective ?

http://www.amderringer.com/m7.html

Offline spruce

Re: How About a 44 Special That Weights 7.5 oz
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
At which end???!!

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »
I have one of the older Charter's and they are a little lighter than the newer ones.  (slim barrel)  It barks pretty good with CCI Blazer 200 gr hp's that I carry.  I load some Hornady 200 gr hp's to a similar velocity for practice.  Your gun will take some more velocity, but I don't think you are going to want too.  I tried some modest 300 gr cast loads in the Charter once.  Only loaded five and that was a good thing because I could only stand to shoot two!  I'm sure that your gun will do the job just fine with the silvertips.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »
I have always wondered about getting the Model 1 in either .45 ACP or .40. A shorter cartridge, a tad more contact with the rifling . . .
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
You know, this could get outta hand and the one on the recieving end could be better off---he could just die and the shooter suffer forever ;) :D.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Crimson Mister

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:32:46 AM »
I don't see any reason to load them over standard .45 ACP velocities. The .45 seems to have a fairly good history in stopping fights quickly so I wouldn't think that a similar weight bullet traveling at the same velocity would be any less effective. Even if it is 22/1000ths smaller in diameter.  ;)
Rich

If I'm gonna be an ass, I might as well be a smart one.

Offline powhs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:12:14 AM »
I have shot the factory 246gr as well as 200gr silvertips. The recoil is not for sissys but it's not that bad. If you can handle a Charter bulldog you could handle it.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »
How much speed do you think they need to be effective ?

I think a standard load of about 900 fps would be fine even though you are gonna lose a bunch of that through a derringer with about 1/4" barrel travel. The wadcutters a great idea. Instead of pushing tissue around the bullet it will cut through it producing more bleeding.

Let us know how your experiment works out.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
Speaking of wadcutters, I have some 44 spl's loaded with 250 gr LFN bullets (almost a wadcutter) at only 750 fps.  (3" bbl)  Seems slow to me but I will attest that they just flat hammer what ever you point them at!  Don't ever knock a slow, heavy, flat nosed bullet.  They will do the job.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
Just shooting blanks would probably be effective!!! :D  Man, just looking down the bores of a .44 derringer must look like a pair of 16" batleship guns was pointing at you!  If you shot at night, you'd have to close your eyes or wear sunglasses to avoid night blindness! 8)

Offline powhs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »
Today I fired a 220gr WC (725fps) through a 12" bucket of water. It completely passed through and kept going. I then fired a 145gr 357 silvertip (1125fps) from a 2 inch S&W mod60. It was stuck in the far side of the bucket. I  chronographed both loads this morning. Funny the 725fps lead wadcutter had better penatration.

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 01:31:48 AM »
Funny the 725fps lead wadcutter had better penatration.
Mass/Momentum.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 03:11:05 AM »
I had one in 44 mag. even shot it some 50 times maybe . At best its a contact gun , push it up close and pull the trigger . For that it is great and i carried it for back up . the j frame s&w with 5 shots works better and the weight is about the same .
Most any round is ok in it no bbl/cyl gap to lose power is great . I had 2 in 357 mag one each in 44 mag and 45 colt . The colt was a bond snake charmer . with 410 shot shells it was still a close range gun on snakes .
I always figured it like i noted a contact gun good in a crowd and looked for a round that would expand and not go thru a target to easy as it might be used in a crowd . win. silver tip ammo seemed good for this in 44 mag.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 09:26:39 AM »
I have a 44 Mag snub nose revolver.  Sometimes I shoot 44 Special in it, when my wrist gets sore. 

As to a 44 Special Derringer, I hope you do wrist exercises.  My suggestion is that just about any standard loading will be "effective" if you can get your shots on target.  I would think that hanging onto a derringers grip at the same place/angle would be the real challenge

If it were me, I would try low end or starting loadings of a variety of powders and bullet combinations until I had a load that I could shoot reliably and accurately at a close target (i.e. under 15 feet).  The 44 Special has been around for about a century, so it is an effective round at just about any velocity.

Offline Redtail1949

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
44 special is a great round very effective and very deadly

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 11:03:20 PM »
Don't they make a derringer in .45-70? Talk about scary!
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »
I have a nice American 44spl Derringer lightweight. Nice short range pocket gun but really kicks. Been carring WW Silvertips. I want to load some 220gr waddcutters I have on hand. How much speed do you think they need to be effective ?

http://www.amderringer.com/m7.html

Perhaps you should look at the Federal lead semi-wadcutters. I'm not convinced you will get reliable expansion fron a derringer, and the Federal is a semi-wadcutter, so still has something to offer even if it doesn't expand.

;) ;) ;)

Offline mtmarfield

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »
   Greetings!

I picked up an ADC M-4 "Slab Side" in .44 Spl., about eight years ago, or so. I've really enjoyed it! At times, I've had Federal 200 Gr. SWCHP's in it, but generally, I just put my handloads into it: Speer Shot Capsules filled with #12 Shot { Great to 8' or 10'}; Ideal #429348, and a midrange charge of Unique { Also good in the older Charter BullDog}; and occasionally a RB load, although they're more for fun.
   Recoil? Well, I believe that the weight and barrel length keep it from getting 'carried away' with itself. It has more rearward thrust than muzzle flip; probably a LOT less muzzle flip/angular momentum than a 2" barrel. Although I haven't yet chrono'ed any loads, I would guess that they would perform about as well as my 3" BullDog, perhaps better.
   I think that Deringers are a kick, and look forward to the day when I can find a decent, affordable Remington O/U in .41SRF... And, a few "affordable" boxes of South American made cartridges!!!

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield