Author Topic: Bullet Selection Issues  (Read 273 times)

Offline phatgemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Bullet Selection Issues
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
What to choose? First off the 44 reloads. I load for my .44 nef handirifle. Been loading 240 noslers or hornandy xtps  with H110. No problems there. I also muzzleload and have been using 240 grain .430 with sabots. Shooting these over 100 grains of triple 7. It's real nice to be able to use same bullet for both. Now to the quandry. I would like to try some lead cast bullets. Anyone have experience with using lead with a sabot. I know I could go with bigger bullet for the muzzleloader, but to keep things simple I would like to buy just one 240 grain bullet. Looking at something like the keith style 240gr cast. I know it would work good for the handirifle and the velocity should be low enough that lead fouling wouldn't be a issue. Any opinions?????

Secondly I also load for a 500S&W. Been using 350 grain xtp's for it. To save money, I would like to shift to some cast bullets in the 400 grain area. Should be to much of a problem but I don't want to run into too much of a fouling issue.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bullet Selection Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
Casting my own bullets would be one way of saving some bucks. I just have not got into it. I buy my bullets both cast and jacketed. I have found that cast can shoot nearly as well or better than jacketed, but I have to buy premium cast bullets that fit the bore properly to do it. They cost nearly as much as the cheaper jacketed bullets. With the cheaper cast bullets, I do not get the accuracy I am looking for, but they make great plinking loads, where it does not matter if I hit the can dead center or off to the side. Personally, If I am going to shoot cast at game, I am going to use the good stuff, so it is not going to save me much money. If you are looking for penetration, a good cast is hard to beat, but if you are looking to shoot a couple of deer a season and do some sighting in, get the best bullet for your purpose, be it a good cast or a good jacketed bullet. I have 2 of 44 mag handguns, and 3 - 44 mag rifles. None of them like the same thing :( If you have found a bullet that shoots good in both rifles I would stick with it, unless you are going to be shooting thousands of rounds a year. Then it makes a real difference on cost. Good Luck and Good Shooting 
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:50:15 AM »
If I understand your question correctly, you want to use a cast bullet in a sabot. If this is correct you shouldn't have to worry about leading the barrel since there is no contact between the bullet and the bore.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »
 I bought a lee mold, 240 gr TL semi-wadcutter design I think, without looking. They were mostly for lighter loads in my 44 mag. I got some of those green sabots from Hornady, for the .430 bullets & shot them in my M-L. They shot as good as most at the 50 yrds I sighted in. I took a doe with this set-up 2 yrs ago. The shot was right in the vitals & the deer didn't go far. The round pretty much just bored right through. I've moved on to SSTs for hunting but still use my economical loads to get a scope close or for general shooting. I shoot the good stuff for final sight-in.
NRA, Veteran