Author Topic: 6.8 ammo ?  (Read 760 times)

Offline JJ79

• Trade Count: (0)
6.8 ammo ?
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:06:30 AM »
recently picked up my first AR...a Rock River 6.8.

just being honest...this is the "I hope nothing bad enough for me to need it ever happens" gun. I really hope to never actually "use" this 6.8....

but if worse comes to worse I want to be ready. this will involve lots of practice, which brings me to my point:

your thoughts on the best 6.8 ammo (both a practice round & a defense round)? And where to purchase it?

would love to buy at least the practice stuff in bulk...1000 rounds?

thanks in advance for all input...

-JJ

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Re: 6.8 ammo ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:47:35 AM »
jj79,
   You did not pick a caliber that will be cheap to shoot a lot if you plan on using factory ammo.  If you don't already reload, start.  Reloading will save you more money than you can imagine. 
   If I were you I'd do a google search for 6.8mm ammo and see what that comes up with, then check out midwayusa.com, natchez.com, sportsmansguide.com & cheaperthandirt.com.  You may also find great deals on components at gunbroker.com.  I usually shop there for once fired brass.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:48:26 AM »
you could also try 68forums.com lot of info there
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:51:45 AM »
#1 - goto the 68forums.com as previously recommended
#2 - determine the type of chamber you have

Offline JJ79

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »
you could also try 68forums.com lot of info there

great info there...thanks for the tip!!

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:39:25 PM »
As previously said "Reload " errr Yeah Reload ;)

Great caliber from all my researching on it , thou factory ammo wont be in the realm of cheap .. Havent looked for this calibers availability lately so dont know how hard it is to come by at the moment.

As for a good pratice and SHTF (sh*t hits the fan) bullet .. I would think a good 110-115 gr soft point would suffice for those needs , MidawayUSA and the other sites mentioned are great sources of components, If you havent learned it yet .. the 6.8 spc is a .270 caliber bullet so there shouldnt be any shortage in that department.

Good luck with it and remember that is a great little hunting round from what the guys are saying and the pictures are showing ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline emsemt911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
I shoot the commercial loads Silver State Armory Pro hunter or Nosler

Offline apache235

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:34:50 AM »
Silver State Armory, Midway and Natchez are all good places to start.  My problem has been finding primers.  I pick up anything that will fit, Remington brass is large rifle primer, Hornady, SSA is small rifle primer.  H322 seems to be a good powder and I use the 110 gr VMax Hornady or the 115 HPBT Sierra, I haven't tried the lighter bullets yet.  Good luck and it is a fun gun to shoot.