Author Topic: nef acp  (Read 845 times)

Offline j350hp

• Trade Count: (0)
nef acp
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
has anybody made a handi rifle into a acp like 45,10mm,40 sw, or 357 sig. the latter would be awsome and 10mm in a longer barrel o yeah.
i see fox ridge offers a 45 acp. i wonder because i carry the old glock 23 and i like to be able to shoot my ammo in all my guns. just an idea and curios if its been done.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: nef acp
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »
Fox Ridge sells Thompson Center products.  They sell almost any caliber made, or can get it made.  The low prices of H&Rs do not allow the manufactor of these off the wall calibers.  They would not make enough to make it profitable.  Very few people would buy them anyway.  If you want a .45ACP get a Contender Carbine or an Encore. 

I love my Contender Carbines just as much as my Handis.  I don't like the Encore.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 3leggedturtle

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
[quote
i see fox ridge offers a 45 acp.
[/quote]                                    I have a TC 18" bull made in 45 auto It shoots Lee 255 RFN at 1050fps with 9.4grs of HS7 . It will group 2 inches at 100 yards and ring the 10" gong at 200 yards. It is more fun than a Ruger 10/22. If they made Handirifle in 9mm or 45 would buy one in a heartbeat.

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
I would like to have one in 45winmag.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »
I have always liked that old warhorse the .45 ACP. I used to shoot them competetively and they are accurate and a real manstopper to boot. I am all set up to reload the .45 and they are simple and easy to load, and the cases seem to last forever. I had a .45 ACP Handi made up a couple of years ago buy a great gunsmith using a SS barrel stubbed into a 20 gauge barrel stub and it's a great gun. I say if it is what you want get one, mine is great!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline j350hp

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
i know they probally wont make a production run but is there any reaming possibilities.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
Nope, the only bore that size is the 45Colt which the chamber is too big and the bore is .452" instead of .451", only choice is to do a stub which is covered in the FAQs, or have a smaller barrel rebored,  like a 22Lr or maybe the 22Hornet, plan on spending about $300 plus the cost of the donor parts either way.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline j350hp

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »
at that price buy me a case of shells and shoot a long time.

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »
Tim,

Dumb question on this subject.  I have heard of .308 brass being used to make .45 ACP cases and rims are the same diameter.  Would a .308 chambered barrel or other barrel chambered for a .308 family cartridge be useable for boring and chambering to the .45 ACP?  

If not, I don't believe it misses by much.  I just tried to drop a .45 ACP round in my .308 Handi and the bullet goes in and the mouth of the cartridge starts and then stops just as it goes in the chamber.  This rebore has crossed my mind in the past.

Charles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
It would work if the 308 chamber is small enough to be cut so the round can headspace on the case mouth.

Tim

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »
It's close but I don't think we get the cigar this time.  IAW the diagrams for the two cartridges it shows the .308 is .454 wide where the neck begins which is about 5/8" (.658) in front of the .45 ACP case mouth which the would leave the rifling shallow where lands and grooves begin.  At least that is what I'm seeing.  The smith doing the rechamber and rebore make final determination?  I hope diagrams for both cartridges attach.

Charles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »
I think it would depend on the actual chamber you want to work with, a chamber cast would be in order.  ;)

Tim

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 07:14:39 AM »
.45 WSSM with Nitro tips 280 gr hollow point surgeon nightmares. Can you please make me up a couple thousand of these, then I will be ready for war.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
many years ago I made up a bunch of specialized .45 ACP cases from 30-06 brass. It was cut to headspace on a slight lip where the .45 ACP case would have ended and then was turned down a couple of thousandts for a short distance (less than 3/8" IIRC to facilitate the holding of shot). They were made to be shot filled cases which could be used with just a cardboard overwad. I think I still may have a couple in with my old "stuff"...They worked pretty well....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
Don't know about using .308 brass for a .45ACP.  Back during the early 70s I used .308 brass to make my .44 Auto Mag rounds.  Very simple just cut to length, run it through the resizing die, touch the rough cut up with a trimmer, prime, and load with powder and bullet.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:08 AM »
I've got a .32 cal barrel, so I think I will make up a .32 ACP barrel for a door prize for next Springs PD shoot, that should be a one of a kind.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.