Author Topic: How do I get that darn barrel wedge out!?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
How do I get that darn barrel wedge out!?
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »
I'm about to take an impact wrench to it!   ::)  That thing will NOT move!  I know others have had this problem, I've read about it!    :-[
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline madcratebuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How do I get that darn barrel wedge out!?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
Support the left side of the revolver with a piece of wood in a way the the wedge is not obstructed.  Use a brass, nylon, hard rubber, or raw hide mallet the give the right side of the wedge a sharp blow.  If there is not much wedge sticking up from the frame a good quality brass punch needs to be used.  Is this a new Pitta?  Lot of the new Pietta have super tight wedges from the factory.  I've seen several complaints about it in the past several weeks.  When I get one that's that tight I take it to my arbor press.  After you get it out the first time it should not be so difficult the next time.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:39:52 AM »
Yes, it is my new Pietta 1860 Army.  What you suggested is pretty much what I did and the wedge seems to have moved ever so slightly.   :(  There was very little of it sticking out the right side BTW.  When I get home I'll make a special brass drift the size if the slot and try again.   :-\  Thanks again!   :)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:28:13 AM »
Now you know why i like my 1858 Remington more.
(Pull down on loading lever, pull back on cylinder pin, hold cylinder and put gun to 1/2 cock and cylinder falls out)
Like in Pale Rider.   8)
I had to take the screw all the way out and use a brass hammer to drift it out.
But it gets easier each time you pull the wedge.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »
Now you know why i like my 1858 Remington more.

I know. I know...  ::)  But I just can't get past the ugly... 'sides, I wanted a revolver just like the one my great gran daddy - Stonewall Elliott - carried in the late dispute over state's rights.   ;D

I had to take the screw all the way out and use a brass hammer to drift it out.

I took the screw out also, but there was not enough of the wedge sticking out the right side to whack!   ::)  So I tried a steel punch.   :-[  No luck with the amount of whack I was willing to give it...  ;)

But it gets easier each time you pull the wedge.

Well, that's good to hear!   ;D 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:10 AM »
You might also try a gear puller; pad the contact areas of the pistol and may have to make adaptor for puller tip to fit wedge.  They're relatively cheap from Harbor Freight or auto parts suppliers. I've used them to pull 30 yr old bronze props from steel shafts.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:22:45 AM »
Have patience - it will come out eventually.  The important thing is to not get frustrated and get the sledge hammer out!  Years ago, I had a '51 Navy that just about drove me nuts the first time I tried to get the wedge to slide out on it.  I finally applied penetrating oil to it, let it sit for a day or so and then warmed the area up with a propane torch.  I then used a brass hammer on it - there was enough sticking out - and eventually it let go.  When I examined the wedge and slot in the cylinder pin, I discovered some small "burrs" left over from the machining.  A couple of swipes on an oily stone honed them off of the wedge and a fine file cleaned up the slot in the cylinder pin.  After that, it was easier to get the wedge to "let go" and with time, it worked like it was intended to.  In this day of NC machining, etc., it seems like the fit should be almost perfect but you still have humans doing the work - some with heavier hands than others! 

Some like the Colts, some like the Remingtons, some like the Rugers - all for different reasons.  The truth be known, anybody that likes shooting BP revolvers generally likes them all - just some more than others!  My g-g-grandfather carried a Remington in the 11th Mich. Cav. - for that reason, I wanted one and greatly enjoy it.  But, I still love the '51 Colt Navy as well - good luck with the wedge - it will come out eventually.  Just be careful to not get frustrated and end up damaging or marring the surrounding area.  I've read a number of things in regards to the originals and they had their problems as well.  As in the days of the originals - when they lived with the styles and designs and their shortcomings - we do the same with the replicas - that's one of the things that gives us the appreciation of what our ancestors put up with - and what makes the hobby fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:58:04 AM »
I bought both for the same reason.
I have Maj. Angus McDonald's belt buckel from the dispute as well as his days as an Indian fighter.
But I have not found a picture of him with a revolver.
Depending on the side you may beed to get a Star, savage, Spelling and burr, le Matt, Walker and 3rrd model Dragoon, or even a S&W No. 1 to be correct as to what confederate officers carried.  More a what they could get than a standard issue.
There were even some english double action revolver on the south as well as brass framed copies of the 1851 Navy and 1858 remington.
Of the period guns I think the Savage is the last in the beauty contest,
the La Matt being the coolest with 9 rounds of ball over a 20 ga shot gun
and the S&W No 1 being the most weather proof.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »
I have Maj. Angus McDonald's belt buckel from the dispute as well as his days as an Indian fighter.

Well, actually ol' Great gran daddy's disagreement with the federal authorities came more in the form of revenoors who kinda took exception to his likker makin business durin' prohibition.   :-\  They took to callin him Stonewall cause that's what he'd always hide his still behind.  Ever time they'd come around, a whoopin and a hollerin and a waiving them axes over they heads they's holler "THERE'S OL ELLIOTT HIDIN BEHIND THAT STONE WALL!"  Afore ya know it the name kinda stuck.

As far as the revolver goes, it was the only gun Great gran ma - Broomstick Elliott - ever let him have; her being against violence and all... 'cept if it were her usin it against Great gran daddy that is... which reminds me ahow she got her name...  :P  but that's another story... Anyhow, that gun never did work noway.  Not since his daddy fished it outa Peachtree Creek durin that shoot-em-up... Great great gran daddy said sumpin about it bein dropped by some yankee cavalry major headed back norf at full gallop hollerin "RUN LADDIES!  RUN!"   ;D

But then, maybe I'm thinking with my dipstick...  :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »
I'll be nice. ;D

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »
That torch idea might work, especially if you touch some ice to the wedge just before tapping out; that would make a few thousandth difference in size of the hot vs cold surfaces.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »
AtlLaw

I have found that while removing a tight wedge from a new Colt clone, it is important that the pistol is held in such a way that it has no give to soften the hammer blow.

I made a bench block by drilling a 3/4 inch hole in a hocky puck (about $1 at Wally World), about 1/2 inch from the edge of the puck, so the block clears the cylinder.   

Place the big end of the wedge in the hole, and pressure from the side of the hand you hold the brass drift in can easily hold the barrel level on the block, while you give it a blow with the hammer.

Pins that would not move while I was attemting to hold the pistol on my knees etc,  start moving on the first blow when the pistol can't move away from the blow.

I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I got it out with a brass drift I made.

Now of course it won't go in as far as it was from the factory.   ::)  And I have NO idea how that little flat spring that slides in the race in the wedge is 'spose to work...  :-[

Ain't learning something new grand!?   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 03:39:19 AM »
Whack it with a bigger hammer!
I like the hockey Puck Idea.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »
It's always amazing the neat little tricks you learn from others.  I never thought about a hockey puck being useful for anything than scoring a point or shooting off into the stands to act as a "tooth remover".  The next time I'm near a sporting goods store, I'm going to pick a couple of them up.  They really would make a great "cushion" for some of those odd jobs - they could easily be altered to fit the need and are fairly cheap.  Thanks for the great tip!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 06:31:13 AM »
It's always amazing the neat little tricks you learn from others.

I heard that!   ;D  I'm going to get one or two pucks myself.  I've been using a piece of 1x2 oak up until now.

Anybody know where to get a replacement wedge before I start a search?  I gather that the flat wedge spring isn't suposed to float in that race but is attached to the wedge body.   :-\  I must have broken it loose in my, uh ...  :-[  enthusiastic attempts to get the wedge out.   ::)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 06:59:22 AM »
Call Cabela's they have spare parts.
I gave a college roomate a 58 and he broke the hammer. 
Quick call to customer service and they sent one out.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 07:41:40 AM »
Thanks Woody!  You're a pal!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »
That small flat spring in the wedge is to catch the wedge screw to keep the wedge from completely falling out of the barrel lug.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
Thanks mcb, I finally figured that out.   :-\  I'm a little slow sometimes...  :-[  Mines in 2 pieces now...  :(
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 04:25:55 AM »
Dixie Gun Works well have the best price on the Pietta wedge.  The shipping charge for one small part sucks!  You might as well order a few spare parts, screws, hand, hammer spring, to make it worth while.

If you want to attempt replacing that spring I think I may have a few laying around here.  I'll send you one.  It's hardly worth the effort, kind of a pita to do.  I've done it, took several hours of monkeying around, next time I well just get a new one.