Author Topic: H&R Model 950: How to remove cylinder???  (Read 1760 times)

Offline NickA

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Model 950: How to remove cylinder???
« on: July 10, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
I just purchased an H&R revolver, Model 950 with the side loading gate. The previous owner NEVER cleaned the gun. Unfortunately, I can not figure out how to remove the cylinder for a thorough cleaning. Any suggestions?

--Nick

Offline 12Bravo

Re: H&R Model 950: How to remove cylinder???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:02:42 PM »
The 950 should be the same as the 949. There should be a small button on the left side of the frame in front of the cylinder. Push/hold it in and then pull the  cylinder pin out (from the front of frame below barrel). The cylinder should then come out ( it will fall out once pin is removed). IIRC the only difference between the 949 and 950 is that the 949 is blued/case hardened and the 950 is nickle plated.

Offline jim ritchie

• Avid Poster
Re: H&R Model 950: How to remove cylinder???
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »
I have seen some of these revolvers that have been neglected. The button and pin have been known to get gummed up, or slightly rusted inside. Before forcing anything, I suggest soaking it with some penetrating oil in n the button and pin. slowly start twisting and working the pin and button around. It should work loose eventually.
p.s. I think the earlier models did not have the release button on the side of the frame. But, just a ball detent on the inside, sort of like the ball that hold a socket on a ratchet. You just pull the pin straight out. Once again. soak in penetrating oil brfore forcing it out!
Good luck!
Jim
Deceased 3-31-2012