Author Topic: adjusting front sight  (Read 4702 times)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
adjusting front sight
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
Ok so I have a .32 cal flinter with a 41 inch barrel.  The most accurate load is 20 gr volume of Goex 3F primed with 3F.  Trouble is it shoots 6 inches low at 30 yards.  I know I need to file the front blade down, question is, how much??  I have been able to take squirrels with it by holding over, and on paper can put four shots into a neat little cluster, but I really want the sights to be on at 30 to 50 yards.  When I start filing I don't want to blow through a bunch of powder by not taking off enough at a time.  I do not want to take off too much either.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline keith44

Re: adjusting front sight
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
Also should I undercut the face to have a prominant aim reference
Life member NRA

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »
there is a formula that works but i cant remember it maybe one of the other guys will

Offline Hooker

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Start by coloring the back of the front site white something like whiteout that is easily removed.
Take a shot from a good rest off of a bench using a sight in type target at the distance you want for a zero.
Now adjust your rifle in the rest so that the top of your rear site is level with your first shot and the top of the front site is level with your first point of aim. Then scribe a line on the front site where it is level with the top of the rear site notch. Using the line as a aiming point take another shot.
The distance between the first and second shots will give you reference of how much site removal it takes to move your point of impact per that distance. But it should also put your mark very close to the right spot.
After you get it on the money then blow through a bunch of powder it's good for the soul. :)

Pat   
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline keith44

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
 ::)  I should have been able to come up with that.

Thanks Pat, I knew there had to be a way!! :)

I'll report back when completed

Keith
Life member NRA

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:29 AM »
The formula is radius devided by distance times correction.

Measure you sight radius from face of front sight to face of rear, that is "radius". Divide that by the "distance" to the target in inches and multiply by the desired correction. If we say your sight radius is 30" and you're shooting at 25 yards (900 inches) and you want to come up 6" then it would be 30 divided by 900 equals .0333, times 6 equals .1999" to file off front sight.
 Probably most people file their sights at the range, cut and try, cut and try, but I prefer to use the formula and file my sights in the shop with the barrel in a vise where I can keep the cut nice and square.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »
Thanks Joe, that's worth stickying!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain