Author Topic: 7mm TCU... the Basics  (Read 251 times)

Offline Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
7mm TCU... the Basics
« on: October 10, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »
I risk taking a drubbing for not searching, but I did, and I find all sorts of tidbits but no real motherload of the info I need to start loading 7mm TCU. I've had a 10" 7mm TCU barrel for my Contender for years but never got around to wanting to shoot it until now, so if someone (or someones) could kindly throw me some answers to what may seem to be simple questions to those who've been there and done that, I'd really appreciate it.

1. I'll be using my Rockchucker so I know which dies I need from RCBS, but do I "need" an expander die as well?

2. I'm assuming that I should use the FL die set at each reload, but is there any reason to consider using just the neck die once the brass is formed?

3. What are some favorite recent loads some of you have settled upon, and which are your favorite (most accurate) bullets you've found for the 7mm TCU?

4. I've read more often than not that .223 Remington is "the" brass to use for the conversion. But just for grins, I'll ask the question if any brand is as good as another, or if the Remington is really the only way to go (I understand that using military brass is a no-no).

TIA

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: 7mm TCU... the Basics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
Carter,
You might want to take a look over at the" The Frugal Outdoorsman" website and look under " Shooting" there is a good article with loads for the 7TCU documented very detailed on that site!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline STexhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
Used to use one in handgun metallic silhouette shooting.  After the initial resizing and fire forming I never FL resized the brass, just neck sized.  Some shooters only neck sized enough to hold the bullet but I neck sized a little farther down the neck.  I used 139 gr. Hornady and 5744 powder.  I used the 30 Herrett more but the 7 TCU would get the job done.  Due the long throat on mine I would seat the bullet out.  You want to resize enough that the action will lock up tight, a little stiffness in closing is OK.  With my 10" BB I would get a lot of muzzle blast with my powder.  Fun gun and accurate, it would knock the rams over at 200 meters open sites.  I used small rifle primers.

Offline Franklin7x57

• Trade Count: (48)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:09:53 AM »
remember it headspaces on the shoulder, then what STex said.