Author Topic: Weaver K-4 ?  (Read 518 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Weaver K-4 ?
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:07:00 AM »
I got one NIB off ebay. I recieved it and it's in "never mounted dondition, even had origonal packaging.

My question is,,Are/where these thing built to handle cenerfire recoil?

Planning on mounting it on a NEF 7-08, so it's not really heavy recoil..

Thnks in advance for responce
found elsewhere

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Weaver K-4 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 04:21:33 AM »
Had one in the late 60's on a 30-06.  Performed very well.  Was a great scope in its time.

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 04:27:49 AM »
If you are talking about the K-4, whether steel tube El Paso model or the aluminum tube Japanese model, yes they will stand up to recoil. I had one (steel tube) on a .30-06 for years. My dad still has a K-6 on one of his, and I know fellows who used them on 7 mags and .300 mags. They were well built scopes. Just a little heavy and lacking the gas sealing and multi coated lenses of todays scopes.

As an aside, I did an unscientific test one evening with several scopes, including an old K-4 Weaver. I could see to shoot with it longer than about half the scopes I tested, and it was right with/behind scopes costing a lot more. It was definitely useable past legal shooting time, so I wonder sometimes just how much advantage we gain with all the new technology.

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 04:29:33 AM »
Have one that I bought new in 77. It is mounted on a 39A so cannot testify to standing up to recoil but it always holds zero well and is not bulky.
GuzziJohn

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:32:05 AM »
You should have no problems with that scope on your 7-08.  As previously stated, they were very good scopes in their day.  

I have one that must be near 50 years old.  It's currently mounted on a Mossberg 800 .308.

:)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:59 AM »
Thank you all for the speedy reply's  ;D

What I really like about it is the fine crosshairs.
 They cover less of the target than the nikon buckmaster and the leopold varix II, and IMHO the fixed 4 is plenty magnification for the deer rifle it'll be mounted on out to 100-150 range here in Minn.

The gun will be used by a 16 yr old, fixed power and a single shot, he has less to think/worry about and can concentrate on the hunt  ;)

Thanks again gent's
found elsewhere