Author Topic: lyman no. 55  (Read 245 times)

Offline 4WTTROUTBUM

• Trade Count: (1)
lyman no. 55
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:48:18 AM »
Anyone using the lyman no. 55 powder measure? And if so what is your opinion and have you compared it to any others?  thanks in advance
Troutbum

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: lyman no. 55
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »
"using the lyman no. 55 powder measure?"
Don't own one but have used one.

"if so what is your opinion"
It's as good as any.  But didn't care to use the "knocker" at all.  Just a couple of light bumps to the handle, at each end.

"have you compared it to any others?"
Yes.  RCBS, Hornady and Redding.  Not any detectable consistancy advantage to any of them in use.

I bought a Redding, mostly because of the clearly calibrated scale that makes it very easy to return very closely to a previous charge.  Hornady would have been my second choice, same reason.  Didn't much like the Lyman and RCBS (standard type) charge adjustment design but they sure worked fine.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
The only drawback to the Lyman 55 is the sliders that are used to change the powder charge. it's hard, at least for me, to move the sliders for a small one or two grain weight change. If you are going to use it for a single charge of some particular powder, tinker with the sliders until you get the charge you want. Then just use it.

All the others, RCBS, Redding, etc., have micrometer screw weight adjustments that are a lot easier and quicker to use.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »
They will work alright for ball or flake powders but are really crappy with stick powders, especially for the smaller cases. Larger cases it is just bad.