Author Topic: selling reloads  (Read 803 times)

Offline mb4859

• Trade Count: (1)
  • First Blood
selling reloads
« on: October 10, 2009, 03:59:59 AM »
Is it illeagal to sell reloaded ammo without a liscense?
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
- Ronald Reagan

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Re: selling reloads
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »
Yes,
you have to have an FFL and a Manufactures Lic. to sell.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:08:02 AM »
If you are taking orders or renting a booth at a gun show to sell them and make a profit....yes.

If you are cleaning out the closet and have some mixed boxes you want to sell at your garage sale....no.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:16:45 AM »
Allow me to change his question a little.  "Do you need an FFL to sell manufactured ammo?

Does every corner hardware store or gas station that sells ammo have an FFL?  If they do, it surprises me.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:18:33 AM »
If you are taking orders or renting a booth at a gun show to sell them and make a profit....yes.
If you are cleaning out the closet and have some mixed boxes you want to sell at your garage sale....no.

Not sure that is the way the feds look at it.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 05:20:18 AM »
Allow me to change his question a little.  "Do you need an FFL to sell manufactured ammo?

Does every corner hardware store or gas station that sells ammo have an FFL?  If they do, it surprises me.

Do you need a FFL to manufacture ammo and sell it?

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:59:42 AM »
Even with the best progressive presses and lots of spare time...it would be one tough way to make a living. The liability alone would keep me from it regardless of the FFL issues.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
"Do you need a FFL to manufacture ammo and sell it?"

YES!   TO Manufacture and sell it you do..

To sell Factory made ammo no. you  need a vendors LIC.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »
"
YES!   TO Manufacture and sell it you do..

that is what I was thinking also

Offline mb4859

• First Blood
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
So reloading and selling ammo would be classsified the same as manufacturing new ammo.  Then you would need a FFL for either.  That is what I thought because I don't see adds around of people selling ammo and it's so hard to find. 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
- Ronald Reagan

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
Note that I'm NOT a lawyer nor do I give legal advice BUT my personal understanding of the situation is that if you make it to sell you best have an FFL and a HUGE insurance policy. I doubt that letting go of a few rounds you loaded for your own use but for which you no longer have a firearm to fire it in would be frowned on too badly if quantities were small and it was a one time thing but then that's just opinion.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
The liability alone would keep me from it regardless of the FFL issues

That right there says it all !!!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
I don't sell it, and I don't give it away.  Years ago, my dad gave a young man a box of 44 magnums for "a 44 magnum pistol" he just bought.  He had a Charter 44 Bulldog.  He filed the cyls with a chainsaw file and blew it cyl. with the mags.  Then he brought the whole mess to Dad and thought Dad should pay for it. 

If I have extra ammo now, I will pull the bullets, dump the powder and sell or give away the components.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 01:29:32 PM »
NO!!! I won't sell reloads! I won't even give them away. No way I'd open myself up to the liabilities involved.  I have a hard time keeping up with my ammo requirements anyway.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 02:55:22 AM »
Years ago, I had a Class 6 FFL, which was required to load and sell reloaded ammo!

I let the license laps about 22-23 years ago, but I never had a problem with any of the ammo I made or sold!  Lucky me....PROBABLY!

In talking with BATF staff at some point in the middle of my reloading & selling ammo, the individual I spoke with said that the only legal way around the Class 6 license would be if an individual brought me some brass to reload and I just added the primer, powder & bullet.
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 03:05:44 AM »
Interesting, Chuck. I wonder if you charged someone to load their brass it would still be considered manufacturing? I wouldn't do it due to liability concerns, but would like to clear that up to avoid any misunderstanding others might have.
I would still suggest anyone considering loading for others contact the BATF for interpretation of current laws. Might not hurt to have an attorney on retainer as well, regardless of their answers.  :o
Savage

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 04:15:36 AM »
Ditto on not selling or giving away reloads... period.    I pull them (in fact I have a truckload to pull waiting).

Instead of reloading for friends over the years I used it as an opportunity to get them involved in reloading themselves.   Took them to buy their own supplies, invited them to my shop, taught them a safe reloading regime - how to do it right and let them load their own using my equipment while I kept an eye on them.   No liability issues and quite a few of them soon bought their own equipment
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Savage

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 06:05:50 AM »
Ladobe,
Good plan! I've done the same on more than one occasion. I've even given them equipment I no longer used.

Savage

Offline wncchester

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »
"I doubt that letting go of a few rounds you loaded for your own use"

Probalby true but only from lazyness.  Or, you can easily be dead meat for such an infraction of their Regulations.

In a BATF set-up at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, Randy Weaver cut one shotgun barrel a half inch shorter than their rule's limit.  Later, while sneaking in to arrest Weaver at his home, the Batmen and FBI teams killed his 12 year old son because they feared the kid and his .22 rifle, and a 28 yeard old hired hand who was with the boy, and then killed his wife who was  standing in the door to their home while holding an infant to her chest.  And the gov. killers got commendations from their agencies, never heard if that was for their courage or marksmanship. 

YOU aren't an illegal alien or other PC protected class so YOU don't get the legal protections they do.   Meaning, don't count on the BATF/FBI guys ignoring anything.  If they get a burr under their saddle and decide to squash you, they will kill you and everyone around you without batting an eye.  And be rewarded for it.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »
ffl dealer i used before he went out of business didn't even have license to sell reloads but he would let me use his stuff to load my own and then just charged me for the components, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!