Author Topic: Red dot for youth Handi?  (Read 386 times)

Offline Bayou Stalker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Red dot for youth Handi?
« on: October 19, 2009, 05:35:32 AM »
As I am eagerly awaiting my new to me .357 Magnum barrel (Thanks Fredster!) to put on my daughter's 410 Tamer, I am thinking about optics for her.  My initial thought is to go with an inexpensive red dot setup like a BSA 42mm.  Anyone have any input on this for a 50-75 yard setup?  Or should I go with a simple 4X scope?
Kendall

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
Re: Red dot for youth Handi?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:39:15 AM »
A red dot it simple and does not have issues with eye relief. I would go red dot but not BSA as everything BSA I have used has failed me.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:41:40 AM »
My BSA red dot failed me after 3 rounds of 44 mag.      I got a Bushnell after that and it has been perfect on my son's 44 carbine for 4 years now.    Got another one that I have mounted on my NEF 12g 3.5" turkey gun.     Fired about ten shots through it with full turkey loads.    No hiccups as of yet.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 06:46:22 AM »
I have 2 A1 Optics 4 MOA red dots and one TruGlo 5 MOA.  I like the A1 Optic better....smaller dot.  All seem to stand up well to recoil on the pistol caliber Handis.  Real easy to use.  Keep both eyes open, and target acquisition is immediate.  I got the A1s from a guy on ebay.....only 39.95 free shipping.  Search A1 Optic.  Some guys here sight them in so point of impact is at the bottom or top of the dot.  That way, the dot doesn't cover a small target.  Good luck.

Pete

I forgot to mention, mount them forward on the scope mount or scout mount them.  Eye relief is unlimited, and you can put away your hammer spur.  No hammer clearance problem.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Bayou Stalker

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »
Thanks Pete.  I just ordered the 50mm 3moa for $39.95 shipped from the A1 online reseller.
Kendall

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:41:08 AM »

I forgot to mention, mount them forward on the scope mount or scout mount them.  Eye relief is unlimited, and you can put away your hammer spur.  No hammer clearance problem

like  pete  said

i  like the red dots  that mount  like  a scope  in  rings
seem  to be  more  solid  of a mount
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline MTGlass

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:39:11 AM »
Food for thought on hammer spur extensions.

I've put them on all the hammered single shots my kids handle, including shotguns.  It just a little easier for their smaller thumbs to get a good grasp when cocking the hammers.

YMMV! :)
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen