Author Topic: cabelas timber ridge for optima?  (Read 708 times)

Offline oldfart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
cabelas timber ridge for optima?
« on: November 09, 2009, 05:55:41 PM »
i have two optima's that a friend wants, he has a couple of timber ridge rifles from cabela's he says he will trade plus some money. the timber ridge rifles are still in the box not fired, how good are they? i have never owned a traditions muzzleloader. he's offering his two rifles for my two rifles plus give me $150 dollars, ya'll think thats ok. thanks for any help.

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
Re: cabelas timber ridge for optima?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:39:05 AM »
Keep the CVA's.
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:29:22 AM »
yep i'd keep the cva's.

the timber ridge, you'd be lucky to get $80 each for them

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:45:10 AM »
You could always trade the two Optimas for an Accura ;)
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
yea the optima's are more exspensive, but mine were made in 2004 and are really heavy. i handled a new one in my local gun shop the other day and they are much lighter. i already ask the shop owner on trade but the deal he gave me wasn't good considering one of my optima's have never been shot. he said he'd give me $175 for both on trade in thats it, he said the older heavier guns don't sell good. i went to my friend to see what else we could do, the timber ridge are just basic guns but lighter and i only shoot muzzleloaders during hunting season. they are new and built good but i've never owned a traditions but since they come from cabela's i would think they would be good guns. he said the best he could do is $200 his final offer between the two guns for two guns. i told him i would let him know tomorrow night one way or another, i'm gonna check around to see some other places and what they will do. i just need a lighter gun that will get the job done. thanks

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »
IMO you're better off selling them on here and then buying a newer light weight rifle. Gun shops wont give you anything because they want to get them as low as possibly and then jack up the price as soon as they are the new owners.

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »
Amen to that!  What would you like to get out of one of them, I might be interested.
Handi rifles
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
i went ahead and traded, i checked around and most i got offered from shops were $100 each. and had some other friends that offered $150 each, and i figured that was probably top dollar on the net. too seeing how they run $199 most places. so instead of selling and buying another and be down a gun( i like two cause in case of problems with one i'll have one to fall back on) i traded so i would have two and money for supply's. i know their not as good as a optima but i just need one during hunting season and hopefully these will do. i'll shoot them tomorrow and let ya'll know how they do. thanks for all the help.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
just checked out cabelas, they have the timber ridge on sale for $90

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
well i went and shot the timber ridge today, with 80 grains 777 and a 295grain powerbelt. i shot two different targets after my sight in, i do like that i can keep my back sights on even with scope attached. i shot a 5 shot group on each target, i got an average 1and1/2 inch group to no more than 1 and 3/4 inch. that surprised me that a low cost gun could shoot this good. all in all i'm happy with the trade, i got a lighter gun that will shoot good enough to get me a deer, now to get the deer to cooperate ;D, thanks to everyone for advice.