Author Topic: Another Huntsman to the range  (Read 417 times)

Offline lefty41

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Another Huntsman to the range
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
Finally was able to shoot my Huntsman .50 on Wed. Have to tell a little of the story, I bought this a couple of years ago because it was a five barrel set (all had been factory fitted). .22 Hornet; .223; .243; .308 and the .50 Huntsman. I already owned more ML's than needed and at the time did not think much about the Huntsman. Sights had been removed and had the Weaver base, but no scope was with the purchase. After reading here from the many who praised the Huntsman, I decided to see what it might be able to do. Purchased the MU plug and the Hubbards rod (very impressed with both!). Wanted a scope that wasn't mounted too high, but didn't find one that really seemed to fit the way I wanted. At a Gander mountain, their gunsmith pointed me to a Barska Electro-sight multi-recticle red-dot ($69.95). Mounted it on the front slot of the Weaver and away to the range. Took several shots to bring it where I wanted to hit at 25 yds, but once it was there the fun began.
First tried Winchester W209s but they stuck hard. Next tried the Remington Kleanbores and they removed very easily. Loaded with PRB & 60 grains of Goex FFg she grouped about one inch at 25 yds. NO BLOWBACK, NONE. Raised the load to 70 grains and again grouped well and then shot a metal Chicken at 30 yds and then a metal Ram at 110 yds. The reticle is bright and the best of the four choices was the small dot at 1 power setting. The others made the metal targets (painted orange) seem dark and hard to see.

After not considering this as a ML I would likely use, It has jumped to the top of my list for an Inline.
Thanks for listening to my rambling. First time for me to try and produce a post of this nature. Thanks to all here who contribute and share their  knowledge.
Jerry Miller (lefty41)
"In God we trust"