Author Topic: civil war cannon ball?  (Read 609 times)

Offline rusty barrels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
civil war cannon ball?
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:06:22 AM »
Was there a cannon that fired 3" balls at approx. 4lbs in weight during the civil war? A coworker has one of that description. It has very distinctive mold line and sprue which leaves me to believe it was a conferate ball because I understand they were not made as well as the northern ones.

Offline subdjoe

Re: civil war cannon ball?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:46:05 AM »
Can you give us a bit more information, please?  Where was it found, etc.
From your description of the parting lines and sprue mark, my guess would be that it is from a stand of grape.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
There are so many industrial ball-like things that we really need some good photos to tell; a wouldn't dare venture a guess without good photos.  I do that on the evil-bay boards all the time, most of the objects are not cannon balls.

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:58:14 AM »
I won't be able to get a picture of it and the history is a bit vague but its location was Tennessee. I was just curious if there were smooth bore 3" guns used during the war.

Offline dynomike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:04:22 AM »
He is in Tn. but does'nt know where. ???

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »
I was just curious if there were smooth bore 3" guns used during the war.

The short, quick answer is simply "no."  someone may come up with some rare, experimental cannon in 3" smoothbore but as far as fielded, official weapons used during the CW, I can't think of a single one in 3" smoothbore on either side.  The smallest official smoothbore used in any numbers was 3.67 inch, ball for it was just a tad smaller.

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 04:55:15 AM »
No he got it from someone who use to live in tennessee. Well that was the answer I was looking for Thanks Cannonmn