Author Topic: Pulling a few bullets tomorrow  (Read 650 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Pulling a few bullets tomorrow
« on: October 11, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »

OOPS!  Put this in the wrong forum.  Meant to go into reloading area.  Sorry

Was using my RCBS powder thrower (at least 35 years old) tonight and something happened that has never happened before.  I had it set to drop 46.5 grains of H380.  I checked and rechecked my weight with my scale, then dropped ten loads seated the bullets, and rechecked again.  The second check tested heavy.  I tinkered with the scale until it balanced at 48.0 grains.  I threw a few more and they all weighed 48 even.

Should have rechecked the weight before seating the first ten bullets.  Never expected an error because I've never had it move before tonight.

That's why we recheck and that's why they put a lock ring on the adjustment piece - which I hadn't tightened.  Should have known better.  Only been doing this for 40 years.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pulling a few bullets tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:08:30 AM »
Still good information for those that don't get down too that forum.
It is my opinion that we should all understand a lot of aspects of weapons that we might never get involved in----Smithing, long range shooting, reloading, casting, different sights or scopes---awww hecheck, the list goes on forever.
It broadens us and makes us better.
Thanks for the information.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:25:59 AM »
At least you caught it before one of your rounds acted foolish in your gun. Having to pull ten bullets and start over is definately the lesser of those two evils.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:40:14 AM »
Actually it can work the other way.  My brother in law is a great guy and loves to reload.  He is also generous and almost always has reloads for almost everything I shoot when we visit.  Problem is his loads tend to the max side and can be a little stiff for the way I shoot.  I get home I pull one in ten and check powder on my scale.  If I think it's too heavy I pull all and redo the whole batch.  His stuff has never been in the dangerous area just uncomfortable.  Part of it is I have had surgery that has taken off 80 pounds of weight this year and the padding of fat is no longer there.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:27 AM »
Thars why it is always a good practice to load a few and recheck.  I calways charge 100 cases, checking the powder weight after no more than ten rounds, when I am convinced they are all near perfect I seat the bullet.

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
I used to put powder in all fifty then run a flashlight over them to make sure all at the same level.  I could likely still get away with that; but since I retired and have nothing else to do, I check every tenth round with the scale.  I only use single stage press.  Nine out of the ten guns I have seen blown were done with a progressive press.  I evan had a friend pass away and leave me a Dillan press.  I had planned to set it up the next day, when a customer at the range I worked at brought me a Kimber to pull a stuck bullet out of.  I asked what reloader he used and sure enough a progressive.  Traded the Dillan for a EAA .45ACP. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »
but since I retired and have nothing else to do, I check every tenth round with the scale.

What? I can only assume you are not married!    ;)

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline hillbill

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:24:43 PM »
savage, yu made me laugh!but bak to the subject, i weigh every charge with rifle cases. im i doing it wrong?

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
hillbill,

It ain't wrong if it works!
Savage

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »
Savage; have bin married 37 years to the same woman. 8)  She is tied up baby-sitting grandkids.  My days are my own. ;D
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
Hilbil, I once had a customer brought in a winchester rifle he had messed up with a bad reload.  First thing he said was "something like this happens everytime someone comes in when I'm reloading."  I asked if he checked the cases before putting the bullets on with a flashlight.  He said no, I told him to buy a flashlight and always check to see if the powder is the same level in all cases.  Works for me ;D

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
i use an electronic scale and dispenser, by Lyman.

hit the button, it throws and weighs every single charge.

wouldn't be without it now.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 03:31:45 PM »
Dude, you are one lucky guy! I've been married about 40 yrs myself. Course that's spread out over 4 wives. My current spouse of 30yrs, likes to keep me busy. I've been so busy since I retired, don't see how I ever found time to work!  My only escape is my office/loading room. With an attached bathroom and a recliner, a supply of MREs and bottled water. I could stay in here for days if only I had a lock on the door. Oh well, I sneak in here between jobs and load enough ammo to keep me supplied for my matches. Don't have time to practice!
Savage