Author Topic: Is it wet yet?  (Read 604 times)

Offline squirrellluck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Is it wet yet?
« on: November 01, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
Anyone else got water troubles where you hunt? I watched an otter swim between my stand and feeder! And no, the creek aint between the two. Its 100 yards south of both. I mean it is wet down here!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Is it wet yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
I dumped 3" of rain from the gage today. It wasn't much over a week ago I dumped at least that much or a bit more. I've not tried to keep up with it that closely but I think we must have gotten 10" last month.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 02:30:12 AM »
I shot a big, long doe for the freezer a few days ago, and she ran out into a swamp that normall is only soggy, black muck.  After getting to her, I broke a trail, literally with my hands, straight back to some high ground.  Then with my friend's help we floated the doe back to higher ground.  We have lots of water in lower MI as well.

Good huntin',  Arch

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:01:42 AM »
Yep, Holland Michigan here.....I've dumped 3" out of the rain gauge twice in the last 2 weeks.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »
dude I just got back from my lease (southeast texas)

water, water, everywhere.  couldn't sleep outside at night because everything got soaked with HEAVY dew very quickly. 

I set new records for deepest water that I have driven a four wheeler through.  slows you down too because you have to keep slowing down to go through a section of water.

good news, lots of juvies (young deer) out there. I hope they survive. 
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
We have the same problems here in SC.  Although not as bad as seeing otter swimming between the stands, but I'm constantly having to dump gravel and scrap sand into our roads on the farm.  They have been really bad lately with all the rain. It doesn't take long for a huge clay mud pit to develop on my place.  I live on a kaolin rich valley. This clay is a whitish thick paste like stuff that they make china and medicine out of....The only thing it does for me is cause problems. I remember getting fed a spoonful of this stuff when I was little and had and upset stomach...I always told my mother she fed us dirt, but it worked.  I guess it was highly concentrated kaopectate. We pile sand on top, and that helps.  It's just not enough when we get 6" of rain in one week. We've even bogged a couple of tractors down last week in the field.  The Atvs have struggled through them at times.