Author Topic: Winchester model 1873  (Read 568 times)

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Winchester model 1873
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
  Hey all, was at my buddies house after deer hunting and looked over at his gun cabinet, and saw an old octogon lever-gun.  I asked him about it, he says some old hippie gave it to him, had some history behind it but didn't really care as it was chambered in something wierd and never planned to shoot it anyway.  He really didn't even want it but the guy insisted he take it for some work he did.  So I ask to see it, take it out, and its a winchester model 1873 in 38 WCF, has the long full octogon barrel with full length magazine tube, marbles buckhorn rear and a wierd front sight that flips, one side has a simple small post and the other, a slightly taller, more fine post with a bead with a globe around it.  Brass load gate/lifter, good condition, wood is good, pinpoint pitting in areas but clean with an even brown patina, just looks like a cool wall hanger.  Reason I ask is because my buddy said to make an offer, cause to him its just a heavy club as he doesn't collect, won't shoot it, and didn't want/need it anyways.  So, can anyone tell me anything about it

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Winchester model 1873
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »
Yes, tell him to send it to me. ;D My gosh man, why haven't you bought that rifle yet? :o
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 03:29:54 PM »
He said make an offer, like 50 bucks or so.  I thought it'd be worth it for a wall hanger.  I'm not a collector and don't go looking for older stuff, so really I was ignorant about the rifle.  From what I can see, beat up ones are going for 1,500 or so, and this one is in nice shape.  Hes a good buddy, so really I'll probably tell him hes sitting on something potentially nice and worth something.  Would be crappy of me to flat out rip the guy off when I call him a friend, that or I'll trade him something of mine so he feels better when/if he finds out!  (Being sarcastic on that last bit)  So, are all 1873's pretty sought after?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
It's likely worth more than $2000, how much only a collector or knowledgeable appraisor can tell you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 05:27:38 AM »
The Beach folding front sight is worth more than $50.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:02:10 AM »

Assuming it is not really beat up, it is probably worth a minimum of $1,500.  If it has no significant splits or breaks in the buttstock or forestock, and the stock has never been sanded down and refinished, and the metal has not been "cleaned" by somebody taking sandpaper or steel wool to it, then it is easily worth about $2,500.

If, however, the wood has been sanded and refinished, or the metal has "cleaned" by buffing or sanding, or the metal has been re-blued, then no matter how nice it looks, it is knocked back down into the $1,500 range.

If you buy this rifle, then DO NOT clean, sand, buff, steel wool, or refinish it in any manner.  With antiques, the old "patina" is virtually everthing, and if you clean this off, you will cut the value of the antique in HALF instantly!

The most you should do is take a clean, soft, cotton rag, and put just a small amount of lightweight gun oil on it (synthetic like Rem-Oil is best), and just lightly wipe it down .

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock