Author Topic: Can the 22 Hornet be handloaded cheaper than a 22 magnum rimfire?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Can the 22 Hornet be handloaded cheaper than a 22 magnum rimfire?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 10:39:55 AM »
DM my 22 Hornet will outperform any 22 mag loading out the for 15 to 20 cents a round.

aaaawww, my .222 Rem. will out perform ANY hornet, and my .223 will out perform any .222...

That means nothing, as we can keep right on going up the scale, and the .222 Rem. doesn't use much more powder than a hornet.

Anyway, the 22 Win. Mag. DOESN'T need to be reloaded, it's available in MANY different rifles, including semi auto rifles and an assortment of handguns, and so forth and so forth...

IF you have a hornet and love it, that's fine with me, as each to their own...

DM

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
Just bought a lot (lifetime?) of brass case, boxer primed 7.62x39 FMJ rounds for a quarter each. If I can get 10-15 cents back per 1x fired case(1x fired 7.62x39 brass is uncommon), I think that beats all of ya....lol. Now to buy that Handi to use it in.......

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 02:26:19 PM »
i  got  7 cents  in  308  ball  loaded  shoots  good

years  ago
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
Thank you all very much.  I am looking into a rifle purchase in the future.  As a Canadian prices are a little higher here. 

Since my original post I've studied a number of good forums.  The information and practical advice available is almost overwhelming!  I can comfortably live with the cost of either a magnum rimfire or 22 hornet reload.  A Lee Loader and powder scale would be suffidient to start.

To get things narrowed down I did a mission study for the rifle purchase.  I am a travelling salesman in the Canadian oilpatch.  I do not hunt so killing power is not of any interest.  I own a 10/22 for serious plinking.  The rifle will be used for quiet walks in the bush while doing field sales.  I picture shooting regularly but limiting myself to maybe 15 shots per afternoon.  Low report and low risk of ricochet are important.

I think a takedown rifle that packs in my suitcase might be necessary for convenience and discrete travel.  I've decided that a .17 HRM or a 22 Hornet suit me best.