Author Topic: SB1 Vs. SB2  (Read 1798 times)

Offline powwowell

• Trade Count: (0)
SB1 Vs. SB2
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
I'm a newbie to the H&R Topper (Handi rifle) world and I have a question. I bought a rifle that has HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC. GARDNER, MASS. MADE IN USA on the receiver. The serial number is AY485***. The barrel has TOPPER MODEL 158 -30-30-WIN stamped on it. I fired it for the first time today and accuracy was quite good at 50 yards. I planned to take it to the range Friday and try it at longer ranges. Tonight, after finding this site, I've read where rifle barrels shouldn't be on SB1 receiverss!!! Or, that's the way I interpreted things.

My question is, what is the difference in SB1 receivers and SB2 receivers? Which do I have? Is my rifle at risk of the firing pin ejecting through the firing pin hole?

Well, that's three questions actually. But, they are related. Thanks in advance for any input.

Happy trails,
Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: SB1 Vs. SB2
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
Welcome Larry! You have neither, your rifle was made by H&R Inc that went out of business in 1986, the cast iron SB1 and heat treated investment cast alloy steel SB2 rifle frame wasn't available until H&R 1871 started making them in 1987. If you spend some time in the FAQs and Help sticky,  you'll find the year of production list which shows when yours was made and a full explanation of serial number prefixes as well as a ton of other things.

Your model 158 was offered in 30-30, and a few other low pressure rifle chamberings as well as with shotgun barrels, H&R won't fit any of those older frames with barrels in case you're wondering, enjoy it, they're great little rifles, the 30-30 is a real favorite due to the lighter contour barrel.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline powwowell

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SB1 Vs. SB2
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:36:23 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'll look through the suggested threads and just shoot the rifle in the meantime.