Author Topic: Initial review of my new Pietta 1860 Army  (Read 2892 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Initial review of my new Pietta 1860 Army
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »
After months of waiting for Midway to get my "out-of-stock" Uberti 1861 Navy in, I went ahead and got a Pietta 1860 Army from Cabella's... on sale of course!   ;)  It arrived yesterday.

After sneaking it down to the man cave - the sneaking was force of habit since the first thing my wife said to me when I walked in was that I had a package.   ::)  I also got one of those "looks."  :-[ - I couldn't wait to make an initial overall evaluation.

Generally it is more then favorable.  The metalwork is, for the most part, nicely polished and finished.  The brass trigger guard is the only place on the revolver's exterior where I found any machine marks.  The case colors are good; not great but good.

Mechanically the revolver has a nice, tight, solid feel and balances well.  Maybe a tad nose heavy but I guess that is to be expected with an 8 inch barrel.  Indexing and lockup seem fine.  The trigger is just a mite "spongie" but all in all better then one if not both of my old Uberti SAA's.

The worst part of the revolver were the grips.  For a new weapon, the finish was poor, the wood very rough in a couple of places and the wood to metal fit is terrible.  So bad in fact that I could envision the proud wood lacerating my hand when I fired it!

Add to that the fact that the heads of the stock mounting screws stick out far enough from the frame that they may hit the web of your hand when the gun is held and I have two things I am going to work on before I fire it.  Or I could just wear a glove...   ;)

All of that notwithstanding, I am very pleased with my purchase.  Especially at the price Cabell's has on then for closeout.  Next week I will tear the revolver down and take some measurements!  I hope to find a .452 bore and .453 throats to match the .454 balls!

I'm even more excited at the thought of getting the Uberti 1861 Navy so I can compare the two.  They say the Navy "feels" better in the hand then the larger Army.  But the Army balances so well and points so naturally, if the Navy feels any better I don't know if I could stand it!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Initial review of my new Pietta 1860 Army
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »
I have one and it shoots well with both Ball and buffalo bullets.
The action is smooth and easy.
You should be happy.
I think I still like my 58 Rem better.  Action is not as nice but it is a whole lot easier to clean.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 06:26:23 AM »
One of the things that I really like about the 1860 Army is that the grips are made for an adult, they are bigger than the 1851.  The gun has a nice stream lined look, and good balance.  It amazes me that Colt decided to use the grip of the 1851 for the model 1873 revolver, I guess people were smaller then.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 09:21:31 AM »
It also amazed me that Col Colt did not add Stop knotches like he did on the 1860 Army on the 1873.
With the stop knotches you could cary a full 6 rounds loaded and with the 1873 you needed to keep the hammer on an empty.
Guess it had more to do with the shape of the hammer.
But my old S&W top break in 38S&W had a place for the hammer to rest between the ctgs.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »
Ha, some of us more "digitally challenged" folks like the smaller grip better. I even shoot the '62 Police quite well where others complain that it feels too small like a toy.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline DanChamberlain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:40:15 AM »
There are no safe loads you could fire from an 1860 that would lacerate your hands.

Dan

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »
I'm even more excited at the thought of getting the Uberti 1861 Navy so I can compare the two.  They say the Navy "feels" better in the hand then the larger Army.  But the Army balances so well and points so naturally, if the Navy feels any better I don't know if I could stand it!

That Navy may be prettier, but I DO like the larger caliber.  BTW, did they give any explaination as to why the Uberti delay?    ???

4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:31:13 AM »
Well, I said it before and I'll say it again...  ;)  Guns is like wimmins, they'll all get 'er done, but some how, the prettier ones are just more fun!   ;D

Naw, they didn't say anything about why...  :-\  Just that they go by the supplier's estimates...  :(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club