Author Topic: IMR 4350  (Read 643 times)

Offline HuntHard

• Trade Count: (0)
IMR 4350
« on: October 26, 2009, 01:44:30 AM »
  Is IMR 4350 a temp. sensitive powder? If so what does that mean? what can you expect as outside temps. decress from midday shooting to late evening shooting?

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: IMR 4350
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:01:14 AM »
I use IMR-7828, IMR-4831, IMR-4350, IMR-4064, IMR-4320, IMR-3031 & IMR-4227 without a misfire or anything to date that I can use temp sensitive as an excuse.

I hunt mostly in North Dakota or Upper Michigan, so I know it’s cold enough to notice a difference.

Varmint hunting in North Dakota in December - March gives me a true test on my reloads.

yooper77

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »
I remember reading a study recently where a guy tried to test various powders for temperature sensitivity.  Can't remember if it was in a mag (Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo?) or on the net.  If I recall, he loaded rounds with various powders, kept some in his freezer and left others out in the sun.  Went to the range with a cooler and shot both hot and cold over a chrono, recording the results.

Don't rememberr all of the details, but I do remember that IMR 4350 had a pretty big variation.  I had just got a pretty good deal on a 8# jug, and bought it, therefore was interested.

Jim

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
 :D Most of these IMR powders, I think, are listed as temp. sensitive. But they have been doing the job for many years. IMR 4350 is one of my favorite powders.. And that is a fact. ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:46:59 AM »
Temperature sensitivity is grossly over sold and until they came out with a line of powders claimed to not be temperature sensitive no one even thought about it. Just another case of marketing hype. The only time it really could matter in my opinion is if you work up a load when it's real cold and then use it on a really hot day and you were already at or slightly over max to begin with in cold weather. This I've done with W760 and it was too hot in hot weather but in honestly might have been in cold weather really but just not enough to manifest in the way of a stuck bolt on firing.

Yeah I pulled them and made a note to never use that load again. Shame really as it sure was accurate the most accurate 7-08 load I've ever developed in fact.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!