Author Topic: I took my 8 year old son hunting today!  (Read 440 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
I took my 8 year old son hunting today!
« on: October 25, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
We get out of the truck.   Get all our gear and walk about 150 yards away from the truck.   We find a nice little spot on the side of a hill in some pretty thick hardwoods.   We set our stuff down and sit on our little foam seats.   We're there about a minute when he says "when are the deer going to come out so we can shoot them".   I said we might have to sit here for a few hours.   The deer don't just walk up so you can shoot them.   He says "don't they know it's deer season".   I couldn't stop laughing.   
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: I took my 8 year old son hunting today!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:15:06 PM »
Art Linkletter used to say, "Kids say the darndest things."

That was great.  I hope you didn't sit too long as little folks just do not have the capacity like us old dogs to wait for the opportunity.  After maybe a hlaf dozen times, he might sit for an hour or more before getting fidgety.  I hope it does not take that many occasions before the two of you score.

Good luck and good hunting.

Offline theoldarcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:53:50 AM »
Awesome, Dad!!  You will never regret the investment of time and energy to take a son, daughter or grandchildren hunitng.  All too soon they are tied up with their own lives, but you will always have these kinds of memories to relive.  Good job!

Blessings, Arch

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:51:19 AM »
My son attended a preschool class that was co-located in a high school.  The teacher took the little ones to a pep rally one day just before I picked him up to go squirrel hunting.  We went into the woods and sat on our stools to await the squirrels.  Within minutes he was doing cartwheels and showing me all the things the cheerleaders said and did at the pep rally.

Don't think we got a squirrel that afternoon.  He was five then.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 02:10:36 PM »
The best invention in the world is UNO cards.  As long as they know their colors and a few numbers, they can play.  It helps pass the time with my neices and nephew.  It has worked on many outings.  I hunt with all of them at times in a blind. That is four kids.... A homemade one works out of several burlap sacks and some 2x2s. They can move around, but you have to give them the whisper rule. I refer to mine as the fort. They love it.  I just can't climb in a stand with all of them, that's a bit dangerous as much as they like to move around. We even have a plywood floor in mine.  My friends think I'm nuts, but I know they will remember the effort I made to include them in the sport I love.  There is nothing better than taking a kid in the woods for an afternoon of clean fun.