Author Topic: Bullet makers and Powders ??  (Read 524 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Bullet makers and Powders ??
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »
 OK, newbie question for my lack of understanding. I've got the gear, scoured many manuals and found ton's of on-line loading data. Actually sent my first "roll yer own" shot's downrange yesterday,,I can still see, still have all my fingers and the gun's in good shape!
 I've been "hand loading" for 25yrs, but it's always been, powder, patch, ball. I've learned enough there to know that max loads seldom = accuracy.

here we go;
 It seem's every bullet maker, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes,,to list just a few, all have a list of powders they have tried with minimum and max loads. Some are just two or three powders, some are as long as ten.
 Powder makers list ALL of their powders that can be used for a particular caliber and bullet weight with bullet maker and  type, Hogden is a good example owning IMR and Winchester..., I understand burn rates.

Can I use data from one makers 140grn bullet/powder recomendation and transfer that load SAFELY to different makers 140grn bullet?
Short Example; I have Varget powder,,let's use the .223
 Nosler 40gnr Ballistic tip uses 25-27 grns of Varget,,,
 Hornady 40grn V-max does not list this powder,,,,Can I use the same 25-27 grns of Varget for the Hornady bullet?
Can I use the AA 2460 load that Hornady list's, with the Nosler?
Those two bullets are very similar,,,

The list goes on. Matter of fact it's HUGE! Now I understand I'll have to experiment with powders and bullets to get the best loads for accuracy. But, Can I use grn weights of bullets and grain weights of powder comparativley.

Or does it get more complicated when you start talking bullet shapes? Spitzer vrs. soft points,,boatail vrs. flat bottom?
found elsewhere

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Bullet makers and Powders ??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »
Well, you don't want to use any thing but Barnes info for their bullets, as they are long for the weight..

You'd be best served by using the info provided by the bullet makers...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
What Tom W. said is pretty spot on, but I'll add this:

In your ballistic tip to v-max example, yes, you can, but you have to start low and work up again.  Bullets of similar construction (as the ballistic tips and v-maxes are) will be similar, but not identical, in shape.  Because of this, they may reach max pressure at radically different powder charges.  The Nosler bullets might make it all the way to 27 grains safely, where the Hornady bullets might start showing pressure signs at 26.3 grains.

Same goes for flat base vs. boat tail of the same weight.  The weights are similar, but the shapes, and thus the bearing surfaces, are different.  So again, you may find pressure signs at different charges.

So, with Barnes bullets, use the data published specifically for the Barnes bullet you are using.  For bullets of more traditional construction, just remember to start low and work up any time you change manufacturer (going from Nosler to Hornady, etc.) or style (going from flat base to boat tail, for example) of the same weight.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:06:55 PM »
As already stated the answer is maybe.

With more or less standard cup and core bullets generally yes as construction is basically the same and while bearing surface might vary it won't vary much. BUT when you get to premium bullets be real careful things care get real touchy real fast. Bonded core bullets are still basically cup and core just with cores bonded to jackets. But partition bullets and mostly copper or gilding metal bullets like are now becoming common need data specifically for them.

So my advice to you would be to stick to data for the specific bullet you are using until you get a lot more loading time under your belt. Changing primers alone can jump pressures from safe to dangerous and if you happen to have a slightly faster lot of same powder as recipe calls for and use the wrong primer and switch bullets disaster could be just around the corner. Go slow and easy and learn more before you go switching data between bullets and primers and such.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:02:49 PM »
Boy, I'm sure glad you guy's are here, sage advise, got it.
Go slow, work from the bottom-up and LOOK for pressure signs.
And be carefull with premium bullets.
I do want to use that Barnes TSX, but, not till next year.
Local club I belong to is only ten minutes drive so I should be able to shoot at least weekly,
I just got the fever and need to slow down a bit. This is FUN! ;D

I guess after all these years of ml shooting, winning or placeing in more compition than I can remember, getting my name on a couple of state level lists, it's lost it's glory. I've reached that pinnicle, I have more fun mentoring than competeing. I gotta stick with one shot though, I'm rapidly becomeing a Handiholic!

This loading brings back the old passion of finding good groups, getting the detail "just right". I'll not be in a hurry for "max loads" at all. And all the shooting will help with practiced control.
 I'm working the 223, 40 grn now, the charge spread was 25-27 according to the data. I loaded a wide spread first with 25-25.5 and 26. The 25.5 showed the best group. Today I'll shoot 25.3-25.4-25.5-25.6 and 25.7. Which ever one proves, I'll use, then start playing with seating "off the lands" distance. Don't worry I'm gonna stay off the lands/no contact! Then I'll move to 50grn bullets,,,then,,, ;)
found elsewhere

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 02:25:57 AM »
What Greybeard said.....

Start at the bottom, work your way up.

Stick to the recipes for "premium" bullets (you wouldn't want to experiment with them much anyway because of the price).