Author Topic: cheap scopes  (Read 2473 times)

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
cheap scopes
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
Probably there are a lot on here who don't want (can't) to spend more than the price of the gun for a scope.  I have been using Bushnell Sportview 3-9x32 of late.  I broke a Sportsman and it was replaced with a Sportview.  I didn't kick because I was the idiot who dropped the gun, but the Sportsman was a sleeker package.

I really want a 2-7, but can't find one in my price range.  Anyone have opinions (honest ones) on the other brands?  A lot of stuff is bubble wrapped, so you can't even pretend to examine the optics.  All the power rings seem to be way out of scale on the newer stuff, and is nothing but 3-9 on the rack.  If I ever get a Whelen, or similar I want a low number of 1 or 1.5. 

In another post I noted that the variable power on my .243 seems to keep zero.  I still need to try the .25-06 for the same.  I won't even pretend to try the "squaring" thing on a $50 scope.

The most I need is "minute of antelope" right now, but that translates to a realistic 2 minutes.  My 45-70 wears open sights, if I use it for elk this year.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: cheap scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
check  into  the  NC STAR  scopes

they   seem  to be  a good scope........ for the money

if  they sound  like they are something  you want

pm  for specifics and prices

1.5 X 5x     30mm    illuminated  europien redicle

i  might have  a 2x7
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »
Barska is also good in a cheap scope, they do have some that cost a little more, but they have some 3-9's that work really well and have small eye bells to fit the H&R rifles.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
my fav scope is a bsa 4x12 i bought a few years ago new for roun 75 bucks. it really piks up a lot of light in low light conditions.id like to have a couple more like it.ive got a couple of good bushnells too that i didnt pay much for.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Check out the Federal Intensity owned by ATK.  ATK is having these scopes made in the Phillipines are really close to the Simmons Aetec they had long ago.  They are not made in China like the NC Stars and BSA, Muellers etc.  I'm not knocking the Muelllers as I own several, it's just the Intensity I have is better.  Much better eye relief than the Muellers.  The Muellers get very eye position picky ehn cranked up in power.   The Intensities use the aspherical glass in some of the models.  I can tell you from experience, the 2.8-10x40 is one of the best scopes I have bought.  I own several cheaper scopes and some of the higher priced stuff.  I put the federal Intensity up there with anything in the $200-300 range.  The great part is you can find these in the $78-89 range.  This is an outstanding deal.  You won't be disapointed.

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 05:00:06 PM »
Try a bushnell banner. Great scope for the money. I've got a 1.5-4.5 x 32 on my 45 colt trapper. Its really a shotgun scope with a regular duplex crosshairs, but its a great scope for shooting with both eyes open and has a generous eye relief, great for hard kickers. Got another in 3-9x40 and its a good scope too, but I've really become fond of the shotgun scope. They run around $70.     Dave

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:16:59 PM »
I have had good luck with Swift Optics. have several scopes, and used a pair of their binoculars for the last 20+ years.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »
Not sure price range your looking for , but these are the two best fairly inexpensive scopes, they have provided me the biggest bang for the Buck this year.  Quality has been top notch. The Timberline is awesome and provides features I was only able to find on more expensive scopes.  The AO feature is fantastic.

Burris also has a Timberline 2-7x26 for 149.00

Bushnell elite 3200 2-7x32  $209.00 (was mounted on a 30-06, will be mounted on a 260)
Rainguard really works
Multi-coated optics
Compact and well crafted.
Bushnell Elite Bullet-Proof Warranty

Burris Timberline BP  4.5x-14x-32mm.  $ 189.99 (Mounted on a 7mm-08)
Hi Lume fully multicoated lens system
Parallax Adjustable, The AO feature is fantastic.
3.75" – 5" eye relief is generous and fantastic.
Mounts low on a short action and provides a great sleek look. 
Forever warranty
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 07:38:40 AM »
all of my rifles wear either Simmons or Bushnell scopes. mid priced at about $45 to $70.
 i also have 2 Barska scopes and they seems to be holding up real well and have good clear sight pictures.
the Barskas were about $50.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »
NIKON PROSTAFF

is the best scope for the money
form my limited experience with 2 of them

i like  my nikon monarck  too  but   i like my money better
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:40 PM »
kennyd,  Visit www.natchezss.com.  On their opening page, click on either their Aug/sept E-flyer or fall closeouts 2009 pics on side of page and peruse the scopes listed.  You should find a scope that fits your pocketbook.  I've purchased a number of scopes from Natchez and each time I thought I saved money by buying from them, rather than anyone else.  I agree with 30-30man's opinion of the Federal Intensity aspherical lens scope.  I've had good success with Simmon's Prohunter scopes and the less expensive Truglo line of scopes found in the E-flyer.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »
If you can go $125, then the Bushnell Legend 2-7 is great
Otherwise, Natchez has closeout Weaver 4x shotgun scope for $79, fully multi-coated, good scope

Been thinking about trying one of the ATK/Federal/Intensity 3-9 ones myself.

The Sportsman and Sportsview are the bottom of the line for Bushnell, even stepping up to the Banner is a big increase in quality.  The Bushnell Trophy is about the cheapest that I would buy, though. 

I have been really happy with my Legend scopes.  They are not very popular, but if you get a chance to look through some at big sporting goods store, then you will be impressed.  I think that they are very clear and bright for $100-150. 

Offline Tom47

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 07:18:30 AM »
The Legend scope has better light gathering capablities than an Elite 3200 according to their specs.   I have two ant they have done great.   Very clear no rain gaurd is the big diffrences between the Legend and Elite.  One is on a 22 and the other is on a 243. 

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 01:07:20 AM »
I will second the Legend scopes.  My only complaint on my 5-15 AO Legend is that the image is distorted at the edges.  The AO is dead on, the image is clear, very little reflections, good value for $100-150. 

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 07:08:57 AM »
I will second the Legend scopes.  My only complaint on my 5-15 AO Legend is that the image is distorted at the edges.  The AO is dead on, the image is clear, very little reflections, good value for $100-150.

I'll third the Legend for that price range. I have the 5-15 on a .22. Had to use it over a Burris FFII 3X9 because the Legend had the spot-on AO. Used the Legend for a long time on a .308 and it worked great. It's a nice, clear, rugged scope for the money. It's also rated highly for use with medium recoil air guns.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline lazydrifter

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »
I've had really good luck with the Pentax Game seeker from Camera Land.  Good price, nice glass, good warranty(although I've never had to use it.)

Offline Skunk

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »
Just mounted a Mueller 8.5 X 25 X 50 AO Eraticator on my CZ 452 Varmint and it is really nice. It has to be the very nicest scope I've ever had that cost only $229.00.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 07:03:06 AM »
I have four nikon prostaffs two 2-7x32's and s 3-9x40 and have nothing but good praises for them.  I have one on a ML one on my AR one on my 280 and another on a model seven in 308. none have ever lost their zero and you can get the 2-7 for about 120-130 if you look around.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »
How about a fixed 6X scope? Not giving up much magnification to a 2-7 and you can get more scope for the same $$, Weavers come to mind.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 12:59:20 AM »
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 03:29:46 AM »
 had a bushnell to just quit adjusting yesterday... but before i took it off the gun i ran it though its
range of adjustment ..5 turns it grabbed hold again..now it adjust just as precise as it ever did..
 guess i just got it oughta gear or something.. slim

Offline Buck-Ridge

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 12:14:15 PM »
I wouldn't recommend a cheap scope on a 35 whelen. I have been using one for several years and it kicks hard enough to shake a scope loose. Mine broke a crosshair in a redfield illuminator and damaged a Leupold vari X 111.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
Cheap Scope.... You sound like a liberal.
Rich People.  All relitive.
What do you consider a cheap scope-
Inexpensive.
Or poorly made?
Give a dollar figure you are looking to spend to help everyone out.
 As far as inexpensive, I have gone to the Weaver line of scopes and think they are inexpensive quality scopes that are 100% the quality of a comparable Leupold scope at 80% the price.  But that is my opinion.  Much like guys like Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or rice fed Pick up over the other.
I think I have seen the Weaver 2.5-7X30 something scope for under $160.  i have one on my 16" 223 T/C barrel.
I also have a few bushnell scopes and when I can up grade them to Weaver scopes I do.  Some of the Bushnell scopes are more than the weavers I replaced them with.