Author Topic: An Assembly Of Parts  (Read 1096 times)

Offline robbob

• Trade Count: (0)
An Assembly Of Parts
« on: August 27, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »
Well, I have been making progress on my half scale field carriage.  The parts I have are painted for the most part, but do need a bit of touch up.  I scuffed a bit of paint off the trail while grinding the edge of the trail plate to ensure a nice fit.  I need to order my wheels and axle soon.  The cheek irons I had fabricated locally came out nice. Just need to have the straps bent for the underside of the cheeks and trail and the axle straps fabricated once the axle is fitted into the tree. 
Right now my attention is on the Chin Bolts and key bolts.  I plan on using 3/8" rod with some 3/8" flat steel welded to the top and then threading the bottom portion to make said bolts.  My initial plan was to use 3/8" flat stock and cut/grind/file to shape, but have been thinking that 1/4" flat stock would be sufficient.

Should I:
A) Use 3/8 material all around
B) use 3/8 steel rod and 1/4 flat stock welded to the top

When shaping the bolts, should I
A) cut the top portion of the bolts and have them welded onto the steel round stock
B) cut the top in the approximate shape and finish shaping with the grinder/file

Here are some photos of what I have so far.  Notice the fine implements created by ZULU!  :D

Offline Artilleryman

Re: An Assembly Of Parts
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
The eye and chin bolt heads are the same thickness as the diameter of the bolt.  Make them separate and weld them to your bolts.   As to the size, I would scale them to the match the size of the barrel and carriage.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »
Nice work, Looks like soon the assembly will soon be assembled.... how soon will you have some wheels?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline skratch

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:26:28 AM »
Very nice work! What is the make and specs. on the tube?

John,,,,

Offline robbob

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
Thanks guys.  Tube is from Mike Moore, A.K.A. Cannon Mike.  It's his half scale 1841 6lb.  Bore is 1-5/8.  I was going to have him do it in GB but decided that 1-5/8 followed the safety rule better, and that is how he usually makes them.  The wood is oak, large square head bolts/ nuts came from local Fastenall, turns out they are used in the rail road industry so are still available according to the guy in the store.  I also just got some square head lags is assorted sizes from a blacksmith supply place on line.  There are also some round stock pieces I had cut for rondelles.  The belt on my drill press almost gave up the ghost drilling them, it is almost 70 years old after all.
 I gotta get those wheels ordered soon!
As far as the key and chin bolts, I stopped at the local metal shop and it turns out the can cut the tops of the bolts to shape with either water jet or plasma, I just have to figure out the exact dimensions.  I'll probably make come cardboard or plywood templates first since I haven't cut any holes in the cheek irons or the cap squares.

Rob

Offline skratch

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
robbob, you've got a great project going! I recently built a carriage and searched everywhere for square head bolts and lags locally, no luck, but there's not a lot of options here in the NM desert SW. I used hex and figured I would replace them when I could. If you have a link to a supply house it would be much appreciated. The tube and your progress looks great! Looking forward to more pics!

John,,,

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
Well lets see, I have along standing ad in the classified for free square head nuts and some bolts. Just sent a box full out last week,

And in the Cannons link list there are a couple links to suppliers of nuts and bolts including square head stuff.

Offline robbob

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »
I did see your add for free bolts, but just ended up ordering the lags from blacksmithbolt dot com. They had a better selection than any of the links in the links sticky.   The large square head bolts with square nuts I bought quite a while ago.
Rob

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 04:18:51 AM »
We have https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/  on the list.  I added http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/ to the list. Thanks this is how we build that list.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »
We have https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/  on the list.  I added http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/ to the list. Thanks this is how e build that list.
I knew Steve Kayne when he lived on Long Island I bought my first anvil from him and learned some of the basics also good people to deal with, his son is now running the business if you need something not listed on the web site ask  as they still may have one...
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »
nice going on the project.....aahh, I remember my project~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKBo_P1r9E
"MORE booze!"