Author Topic: I wish H&R would make Single Shot Pistols for the handgun hunter  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
I really think that H&R 1871 is missing the customer level boat by not making these.  Look at http://www.moaguns.com/moa_max.html  It would be so nice if H&R would start making a great Handgun Hunter.

Alot of rifle calibers into the handgun package, and topped off with a great scope.

Look at the way some of these look on this page http://www.moaguns.com/testimonials.html

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: I wish H&R would make Single Shot Pistols for the handgun hunter
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
I agree. I really have a hankeriing for a single shot break open .22 or .22 mag with an 8-10 inch barrel. Once I get that, I'll move up to some bigger calibers.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 06:02:44 PM »
H&R while a great company with great products they really are missing the boat in alot of ways. a single shot pistol would be really easy to make, they need to bring back the tracker 1 with choke tubes an 18.5 inch cyl bore would be nice as well, some 16.5" rifles would be nice like .357, .44, .30-30 maybe a 9mm and .45 acp all with open sights or maybe a peep sight. i don't think they could keep these things on the shelf
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
I really think that H&R 1871 is missing the customer level boat by not making these.  Look at http://www.moaguns.com/moa_max.html  It would be so nice if H&R would start making a great Handgun Hunter.

Alot of rifle calibers into the handgun package, and topped off with a great scope.

Look at the way some of these look on this page http://www.moaguns.com/testimonials.html
Many years ago the real H&R made some really sweet ones! those were the days!

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
Montana,

"The receiver is constructed of stainless steel and constructed in such a manner making the receiver extremely strong and safe!  The mating of the precision machined receiver to a quality Douglas barrel results in a pistol that performs like a finely tuned rifle."   

Sure doesnt sound like something that will happen any time soon , Hell Remmie is having issues enough just getting the rifles right ....

I'll stick to trusting my Ruger SBH 44 for my handgunning needs when it comes to taking game.

After thought ... This is Post 666  Muuuuaahahahahaha  happy Halloween
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:57:46 AM »

After thought ... This is Post 666  Muuuuaahahahahaha  happy Holloween

Dang you planned that one.......  ;D

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »
 Not sure I would invest in any handgun product from them. With all the issues they are going thru with the shotguns and rifles, not sure they could handle handguns.

Lonny

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:06:14 AM »
Not sure I would invest in any handgun product from them. With all the issues they are going thru with the shotguns and rifles, not sure they could handle handguns.

Lonny

It really would not take much at all to shorten their already made rifle barrels, and reconfigure a pistol stock instead of the rifle stock IMHO.  Now of course I could be wrong, but what would the harm be in making up one like TC has with the Encore etc.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:07:47 AM »
a one hole 45/70 pistola by H&R....KOOL !!!! ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Hopalong7

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 06:15:31 AM »
    Many, many, many moons ago(40's I think) the H & R company produced a neat little handgun called "The Handy Gun" in 410 and 28 gauge with a pistol grip and about a 12" barrel.  There were also a few 22lr barrels I think.  I grew up with a 410 version and learned to squirrel hunt with it until I (or dad)finally learned that it had become an illegal weapon.  It laid around for a while, but when I returned home from the Army it had dissappeared.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 07:48:26 AM »
Its not gonna happen..

Marlin didn't want the liability when they bought H&R, nor does Remington.

If you want an H&R handgun, apply for a NFA Short Barreled Rifle tax stamp, then once you receive it, cut a rifle down and make a handgun out of it.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 09:18:06 AM »
It would be very easy to take their current listing of calibers and shorten the barrels.  Add a pistol grip and you would have a hunting pistol.  No need for new calibers, new calibers won't do anything more than the current ones already do just fine.  It's just they have to deal with ATF to do that.

The muzzlebrakes required to tame calibers like the 45-70 are spendy, look at what a T/C Encore barrel cost with the Howitzer brake.  My .35 Remington 14" barrel has all the recoil I can stand. 

People keep asking for the .45ACP, why?  The rimless case is prone to problems in the Handi action.  Plus the .45LC is far more versatile.  I don't see very many people hunting with a .45 ACP, but I do see .45LC, and 454 Casulls.  Handgun hunters usually use cartridges adapted to bolt guns, or custom wildcat cartridges.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Chas.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 09:50:16 AM »

Wait a minute...let me get this straight...they're a firearms manufacturer....and they're afraid of LIABILITY?  Now that's a hoot.  I think it's more the BATF red tape.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »
That's right, I remember NEF did make pistols, right up to Marlin buying them out.  They made the Top Break .22, and a Double action .32 and .38.  When Marlin bought them out, they announced the pistols were no longer going to be made.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

Wait a minute...let me get this straight...they're a firearms manufacturer....and they're afraid of LIABILITY?  Now that's a hoot.  I think it's more the BATF red tape.

Handguns are perceived to be the tools of criminals and the wives of honest sportsmen won't let a handgun in the house anyways.
 ::)

Offline knight0334

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »

Handguns are more likely to be used in a crime, and there were some lawsuits that were filed in the '80s and 90's against a number of handgun manufacturers,  H&R/NEF I believe was one of them.  I dont think it came to fruit but it was enough to make several manufacturers to wet their pants.

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 12:46:16 AM »

Handguns are more likely to be used in a crime, and there were some lawsuits that were filed in the '80s and 90's against a number of handgun manufacturers,  H&R/NEF I believe was one of them.  I dont think it came to fruit but it was enough to make several manufacturers to wet their pants.

I don't know or recall any TC Contenders, TC Encores, MOA's or Strikers ever being used in a crime.  Your getting off topic here on this and way rediculous about it.  We are talking for handgun hunting here for those that never have check out http://www.handgunhunt.com as their is a quest by many to pack a single shot scoped handgun into the woods to hunt with.

Offline knight0334

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 05:53:48 AM »

I don't know or recall any TC Contenders, TC Encores, MOA's or Strikers ever being used in a crime.  Your getting off topic here on this and way rediculous about it.  We are talking for handgun hunting here for those that never have check out http://www.handgunhunt.com as their is a quest by many to pack a single shot scoped handgun into the woods to hunt with.

Not off topic...   You mentioned that H&R is missing out on production of handguns.   Handguns are grouped the same to liability insurers, and to the sue-happy people in civil courts.  I gave the reason why H&R/NEF won't make them, which is a legitimate reason.  Hunting matters not as to the reason a gun is made, all that matters is the ability to propel a missile, and handguns whether intended for sporting use or not, will open a can of worms that was once sealed.

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:06:15 AM »
I think the Handi Pistol would be great, all matters of likelihood and liability aside. I can imagine the synthetic rifle stock (without the Monte Carlo) with the butt cut off behind the pistol grip, and it looks sweet. Cartridges like 22 Hornet, 204, 223, 22LR, 22WMR, 17HMR would be perfect.

But on the other hand, this thread made me wonder about Savage and the Stryker bolt action pistol that was discontinued after a very short life. Could liability or regulatory problems have been issues there ?

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 07:31:20 AM »
I think the Handi Pistol would be great, all matters of likelihood and liability aside. I can imagine the synthetic rifle stock (without the Monte Carlo) with the butt cut off behind the pistol grip, and it looks sweet. Cartridges like 22 Hornet, 204, 223, 22LR, 22WMR, 17HMR would be perfect.

But on the other hand, this thread made me wonder about Savage and the Stryker bolt action pistol that was discontinued after a very short life. Could liability or regulatory problems have been issues there ?

Good Strikers can still be had, from GunsAmerica or thru those that are selling them but the problem is pricing as I found one in 7mm-08 for a price of $1500.00 and my pockets are not that deep.  I don't care about arguing the point of liability reasons, there are Single Shot and Bolt Handguns in rifle cartridge calibers available regardless.

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
Could liability or regulatory problems have been issues there ?

More likely it was sales volume. The market is pretty well taken by the first mover T/C and the Contender/Encore has the mind share for handgun hunters. There isn't that big a market for single shot handguns to justify a company to enter against T/C.

How many XP's did Remington sell until they gave up the game?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 03:47:07 PM »
The longer tang behind the hammer makes a Handi a poor handgun, a TC frame is much shorter.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bcp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
Another one:

Bruce

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »

"Handguns are perceived to be the tools of criminals and the wives of honest sportsmen won't let a handgun in the house anyways."

Now that's funny right there!
Personally, I wouldn't give 3 cents for any woman that was anti and couldn't shoot! There's far too many good, pistol packin' mamas out there to settle for anything less, life is just too short to not have the best! ;)

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
My wife is a hunter, she loves shooting big game with a rifle, and birds with her shotgun.  She also packs a pistol.  She owns more than I do.  She has six or seven .357s,  three of four .38s, a .41Mag, a couple of .22s, and her  9MM Auto.  She has a concealed carry permit and she does carry.  Twice she has pulled it, but both times before she could get off her shot they were running away, screaming.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 07:45:09 PM »
I absolutely agree with you there Marv ,

Hell mine wants to go to Alaska for Caribou hunting for our honeymoon ;) Now tell me I didnt find a good one lol

Back on topic thou , Now having seen one of the old time H&R pistols ... I wouldnt carry that thing where people i know could see me ... That is one sad looking arm.. And I cant imagine it to want to fit well in the hand either.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 05:50:04 AM »
But it would they would sure look nice like this MOA in .243 Win, but I know it aint gonna happen.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »
Don't want the pistol in those pics, but want the trigger guard for my BC. (if it would fit)
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Chas.

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 11:58:22 AM »
I know I'm digging up an old thread but I just ran across this pic and noted how much it resembled the Handy gun.  It's a Remington rolling block in .50 caliber.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 01:42:42 PM »
NEF/H&R have no imagination or daring.  Why not lots of various ideas, as posters have stated, .45 acp, 9mm, heck, even .32 magnum Handi's.  Pistols of course, and... why not interchangeable barrels that do not require fitting???? For crying out loud!
Easily done.
And why do Handi-rifles have to handle like crowbars???  Can you imagine how many 18" barreled iron/peep sighted lightweight .45 or 9mm Handi's they would sell? Everyone with a handgun in those calibers would want one.  
Old H and R rifles were sweet handling and quick, not like the NEF .22 Hornet I handled the other day.
COME ON NEF, use your imagination.  It could increase your sales!