Author Topic: First archery kill  (Read 583 times)

Offline vmthtr in green bay

• Trade Count: (0)
First archery kill
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:37:31 AM »
Got serious about bow hunting this year and put in about 18 sits so far. Last night was the night. 1 hour before dark I hit the grunt call and had a deer make a beeline across a field to the edge of the woods I am in. Lost sight and no movement for 3 minutes or so, hit the grunt call again and he started running back and forth in the field looking I guess for a way to jump cattle fence into woods. He came in from behind my left shoulder and I was kicking myself for not standing when he was in the field. He looked up at me and I was hunched down next to the tree, if standing maybe would have spooked. He came in 5 more steps where I could get a shot and looked back toward the field. I drew and shot. As he ran away I could see the Luminok sticking out his shoulder about 4 inches. I was shaking so bad I had to wait 20 minutes to climb down, was afraid I would fall out of my stand. He went 40 yards and piled up. Double lung shot, picture perfect, except for no pass through. I use a 60# Guardian Bowtech, 100g Rocky Snypers, Maxima 250 arrows. Here is a pic.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: First archery kill
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:21:24 AM »
Good job and congrats on your first bow deer.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:17:47 AM »
My very first ever bow kill deer was a buck close to the size of that one of yours but a tad smaller. He too was taken because of my grunt call. He was going to pass out of range but my grunt call pulled him back within range. That was a lot of years ago and many have fallen since to me and bows tho I no longer bow hunt. Congrats on your first of hopefully many.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:46:45 AM »
Excellent story and congrats. I used to hunt extensively with a bow on small game but, have never killed a deer size animal with one. The fever is however mounting to get back in full bore. Hogs for me, lost my deer lease but, I am thinking hard about it.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ttank0789

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:37:52 AM »
Congrats! I got my first bow kill this year too!
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-