Author Topic: what power would you hunt deer with?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
what power would you hunt deer with?
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
if you had a 3x9 scope, what power would you use to hunt deer with and why?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: what power would you hunt deer with?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »
I always keep mine set on the lowest power so I can find them in the scope faster.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
after finding them, do you crank it up?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »
With a 3-9 I also would leave it on 3x. Would I crank it up? Only on rare occasions most times I shoot with it at that magnification but then I hunt in thick woods where 100 yards is a really long shot. I've turned one up a time or two when clear lanes allowed longer shots. I've made two shots at what I'd guess to be around 200 yards on deer and I think I cranked it up to 9X both times for the shots. Both deer came home with me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:51:09 PM »
I agree with a 3x9 I'd leave it on 3 unless I had chance to shoot distance. I mostly have 150 yards and in anymore family dispute cost me my long range bean field shooting. If its at least 40mm and good optics it should have very clear picture out to 100 yards on 3 no problem
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:49:38 PM »
Sometimes I crank it up to see if it's a legal buck.  If you do crank it up be sure to retun it to 3X before you continue your hunt.  Also when sighting in be sure you check your zero at both settings.  When mounting the scope on the rifle set it to it's highest power to set your eye relief.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:40:13 AM »
When I was relatively new to deer hunting, I made the mistake of leaving my scope set at 6x and a doe came up from behind me and was less than 20 yds out.  I never could find her in the scope.  After she was gone, I looked closer at my scope and saw it was on 6x.  I have never made that mistake since.  I have never shot any deer with a scope on anything other than the lowest power.  I did shoot a pig once in TX with it cranked up a little but I was in a stand overlooking a feeder and I had plenty of time to take a shot.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:56:55 AM »
 >:(The advise you are getting is the best. Leave it on low power, but for myself I have used high power scopes so long, that I usually turn the glass to the highest power and leave it....  :-\ I am sure it has cost me an animal or two, but it has allowed me to make percision shots more often than not. BUT I handle these rifles almost every day, that makes a huge difference......  ;)

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 03:04:51 AM »
On my 3x9 I usually set it on 4x. It gives a bit more magnification to pick a spot through brush and it moves the eye relief to an optimum length. I wanted to mount a fixed 4x but I would have had to use an extension ring.
I have a 2x7 on my 7mm-08 and I set it on 3x for optimum eye relief.

With my 2x8 on my .243 I usually set it on 4x. The eye relief is fine across the power range with it.

I want to break a bad habit of seeing game and cranking on the power ring. The rig is zeroed so I need to shoot not adjust. ::)
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 03:31:09 AM »
  I don't use my scope for bino's and you shouldn't be either, so why leave it on a higher power?

I'd leave it on 3x as that's plenty of power for the ranges 99.9% of hunters SHOULD be shooting at game animals.

DM

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 06:17:36 AM »
I have 2x7, 2x10, and 3x9 power scopes mounted on deer rifles.  I normally hunt at the lowest power setting available on the scope.  I recall getting ready to shoot a distance Mule deer and turning the scope to 10X.  Without a doubt that crosshair had the shakes on the buck’s chest.

While hunting with the 2x7 scope this year I took a look through the scope as I was getting ready to leave my vehicle and realize that I had turn it up to full power and then did not turn it back.  The sight picture was clear.  Later in the week I was hunting with a rifle equipped with a new 3x9 scope.  I turned the power up to nine when watching a bear.  Both scopes are newer models that replace forty year old scopes.  At full power the new scopes offer a far better view.

I will continue to hunt with my scopes set at the lowest power because statistically I shoot most of my bucks at close range.  Normally I have time to turn the scope up for the long range ones.

I carry a set of 10X by 40MM Leupold binoculars and make use of them.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 03:45:35 AM »
 well im on bifocals an im still glad i can crank up the magnification..
 eyes are getting worse also so we ll see next time i get new glasse if i can carry the glass they put on the right eye.. :)

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:07:49 AM »
Usually the lowest power on the scope. If you've ever been surprised by a deer walking in on you or still-hunting you know how hard it is to find them when the scope is cranked up higher. I had a 6X40 on a muzzleloader that I really liked, but after having touble finding a deer in close, I went back to a 3-9X variable.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline dpastordan

• Avid Poster
  • Shooting firearms since 1962
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
Keep it at the lowest magnification.   I only crank it up when I am on a deer stand and looking for a shooting lane on a critter...only done that once.  Had too many friends walking back from their deer stand with their scopes on 9X only to jump a deer and...you know the rest.  I have gone back to fixed power scopes on most of my firearms now...either 4X or 2 1/2X as most deer are shot at less than 100 yards. 

Offline 93marlin

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 02:08:46 AM »
All of my deer and bear guns carry a 1 to 4 power scope. Most times they are set @ 2X. Longest shot 125yds, the bear tasted really good. Closest shot about 30ft, having one of his shoulders for dinner tomorrow. Low power works for me

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 04:41:13 AM »
Oh dear sorry but I had to laugh  ;D.

I use mainly 6x42 fixed scopes or the varible is set on 6x. With good optics shooting close liek 20 yards is not a problem. If you raise your rifle and cannot find the beast in your scope then the set up is all wrong  :( sprry about that  ;) seems there is much to be said for shootign froma  antural position and not scrunching down onto the stock. You should be able to pick the rifle up whilst facing the target with your eyes closed mount it and see perfectly through the scope without moving your head around to find the view and the target should be right where you want to find it in the view..

Now I do have some less powerful scopes and in fact have just put a 4x40 on my .22 rabbiting rifle. Just couldn't get on with that dratted Nikko Gold crown anymore and have a couple of 3 x scopes however I have not used those for stalking (Deer Hunting) as yet.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 04:08:34 AM »
I saw a hunting show on VS the other day.  They were hunting javalina.  They used a preditor call when they had a bunch in close and the javalina went nuts and just started running around them but never running off.  The guy took a shot and missed a javalina at about 10 yds.  Turns out he had left his scope on 6x and he said all he could see thru the scope was fur so he took the shot and it went over the javalina's back.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 04:47:48 AM »
Like I said he had it set up all wrong  ;) I wonder if it occured to him to sight down the side of the barrel?

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 05:29:41 AM »
Something I do that no one has mentioned so far is this. I leave both eyes open when sighting through the scope. It takes a bit of getting used to but you will find it easier to find your target. Google Bindon Aiming Concept to get an explaination on the hows and whys. If you do bring the gun up at 9x it will help speed you onto target, at 3x its almost like shotgunning. Give it a fair chance.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 05:42:32 AM »
Errrrr I thought it was normal to shoot with both eyes open  ??? no matter what type of sights are used. I do the same with a Bow as well.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 06:07:15 AM »
You and I are in the minority. Most folks close one eye. The only time I saw it to be a benefit is if you are cross eye dominant. Most folks I've talked into giving it a fair try agree that it is better in the long run.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »
I am cross eye dominant and keep both open ONLY for wingshooting with a shotgun.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 06:09:58 AM »
I have the same problem as GB with eye dominance. I half to close or at least squint my left eye to shoot with scope or rifle. With a handgun I just tilt my head so the left eye takes over and they I can keep both eyes open.

On scope choice I have sold all my varable scopes. I really like the older Leupold 3x scopes and have about a dozen of them on most of my rifles. I also use 4x and a couple of 6x. I only use fixed power scopes.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 03:27:34 AM »
   I have 2x7 Leupold on my 308 lever and 4x12 Leupold on my 280.  The lever is the woods gun and the 280 for distance.  I keep both at thier lowest setting.  If I need more magnification, and I have cranked both up, I'll have time to do it.  I use 8x Stiener binoculars in a shoulder rig for spotting.  They're always where I want them and are very quick comming into position.  Using a rifle as binoculars is never a good idea.  I saw this happen.  A hunter was using his scope to look for game.  There were other hunters in the woods.  After a few hours one of the other hunters walked over to him.  The other hunter acted as if he was admiring this hunters rifle and asked to look at it.  When he handed to the other hunter the other hunter imediatly shouldered the rifle and looked at him throught the scope.  He was shocked and shouted "Don't point that gun at me, it's loaded!"  The other hunter said, "Why not you've been pointing it at me all morning."

Offline NYH1

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 06:30:55 AM »
For me, variable scopes are either tuned all the way up, or all the way down, never left in the middle.   With a 3-9.   I would leave it at 3 power when walking in and out of the woods.   I usually leave it on low power until I see a deer.   Then if I have time I might turn it up to 9 power.     
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"