Author Topic: 3/4 scale 6lb~  (Read 1176 times)

Offline oltom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
3/4 scale 6lb~
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:34:57 AM »
due to the invite from one of you folks~here goes...........
my FIL gave me the dixie gun works barrel 2-1/4"smoothbore....he has had it for about 20yrs, and never made a proper carriage for it..well, it's done after a years work.

the tail piece is 3 white oak pieces laminated together, the solid white oak cheekpieces were VERY hard to get drilled for all the odd 1/2 bolts that ran thru them. the 6 metal spacers and the elevation screw were made by a fellow board member, the wheels were made by the local Amish wheelwrite(he makes ALOT of cannon wheels-- some 6ft tall!!!) and the metal parts were made one at a time....solid steel axle, all white oak with bunches of coats of paint...yes i know it's not the real colors....but I like it.....
as for the balls, yes steel balls 2"dia over 2 and 3oz of powder, w/wood sabot attached. i could go up to 1/2lb powder....but then i ain't rich, so i stayed with lower power, and my powder last longer. the woods to a beating anyway....where ever the balls hit....they took part of the trees with them! this one ball was stuck AFTER a 150yd travel, cutting thru about 10" hardwood, then a 45degree turn, and sticking in this tree.....all on 2oz of fg!!!! :o
it weighs about 700lbs, and i can use my come-a-long to get her in the truck on ramps....and just push her out by myself....but it's easier with two people.
she now resides at my mom's garage in ky because i don't have room for it here~she says she LIKE having it....She said"all southern women need a cannon"..........she's 76 and still shoots her 22 rifle i bought her!

the end...... ;D

p.s.
a 2" wheelweight ball at 800fps shows a 17,000fp of power~just a tad more than your deer rifle in power!!!!

"MORE booze!"

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: 3/4 scale 6lb~
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »
Nice job! Great looking carriage even if it did take 20 years or so.  I like the color too, been debating what color to paint mine.  I do understand the amount of effort and ingenuity you put into this, I'm about half way through my own. Come to Tennessee and shoot some time!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:57:11 AM »
Very nice looking cannon ya got there!  And you've already got a Kewpie doll (which means others really like it too)!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 04:21:44 AM »
kaintuck,

You have a great father in law! I wish mine had a cannon barrel to give me!  ;D great work on the cannon carriage!

And what else would a loving son leave to protect his mother's homestead!  ;D

By the way how many cats do you have? at least two?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
That there is a great looking build. Congrats on earning one of DD's kewpies.
That is a great pic of the smoke curling out of the muzzle.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 05:19:26 AM »
Most excellent! and Welome !

If I were you ,and if those trees were mine ,I'd saw that section with the ball in it right out of the tree . What a cool souvenier  8).

You do very nice work !

I wouldnt mind seeing some photos of those trees that got hit ...morbid curiousity .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 06:07:29 AM »
Fine job on the carriage, Kaintuck, and welcome to the forum.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:59:53 AM »

Kaintuck,

Welcome to the board, you will find a home here.

Your Cannon is nicely done. I even like your choice of carriage color. But being from the North, now living in the South, I still must prefer the standard OD.

I also approve of your Mississippi Style tapered safety rammer. That is all I used to use with my 3.67” 6 pdr gun back in the 1970’s.

I now have a need for one 48” long with a 4.25” or 4” diameter head. Any suggestions?

I Can't find anyone here in Central Florida interested in the project.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »
Most excellent! and Welome !

If I were you ,and if those trees were mine ,I'd saw that section with the ball in it right out of the tree . What a cool souvenier  8).

You do very nice work !

I wouldnt mind seeing some photos of those trees that got hit ...morbid curiousity .

Gary
;Dok...........there are two hits to this tree, i am going back and get more pics now that the leaves are gone~ i'll be able to see better where the other shots went......a dozen shots that day.
"MORE booze!"

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
Kaintuck,
I also approve of your Mississippi Style tapered safety rammer. That is all I used to use with my 3.67” 6 pdr gun back in the 1970’s.
I now have a need for one 48” long with a 4.25” or 4” diameter head. Any suggestions?
Cpt Ed, Could you taper down a fence post? Check with your local building/lumber company. Possibly a large diameter handrail to start with.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
Could you taper down a fence post?

I have done close to that (5" post); you just need a long enough lathe.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:45 PM »

Hmmm... Not a "tree hugger" I take it?

;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »

Hmmm... Not a "tree hugger" I take it?

;D

I think he's a "tree prunner" in a radical sort of way... ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 01:44:12 AM »
Kaintuck,
Cpt Ed, Could you taper down a fence post? Check with your local building/lumber company. Possibly a large diameter handrail to start with.

Closet rod 1.5" dia. oak  ;)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:10:08 AM »
Rocklock is right.  1 1/2" oak dowels with a turned oak head fitted onto the end with 1/2" wood pins.  I use oak or walnut dowels for the pins.

You can't see the pins in this picture but they are there.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 04:30:38 AM »

I also approve of your tapered safety rammer. That is all I used to use with my 3.67” 6 pdr gun back in the 1970’s.

I believe what Cpt Ed is actually looking for, is, a "Mississippi Style" rammer. Which is a one piece tappered rammer with no head.  It was used as a type of saftey rammer.  It is believed that if the gun discharge during loading that the tappered rammer would actually spread the hand and fingers open doing less damage to the hand.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 04:53:55 AM »
So the 4" or 4.25" diameter head would taper down to the 1 1/2" diameter handle?  I made one like that before for my 3" bore Parrott Rifle for a re-enactment I did at Vicksburg.  It was required.  The theory is still the same.  The 4" head is still pegged to the 1 1/2" rod but the taper is in place so it would "spread" the fingers if necessary. The 4" turned head would have sides that ran parralel with each other for about 3" then taper down to 1 1/2" over the next 5" or so.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline p51

• My cowboy shooting page...
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »
Nice work! 3/4 scale guns hold a dear place in my heart. In my youth, I crewed one for quite some time and back in the 70s, that was what the majority of Civil War re-enactors used (and yes, most of them were painted grey as well). Heck, I don’t recall seeing full scale guns (other than a mountain howitzer or two) at events in the deep south until the early to mid 80s. Oh how times have changed since then! But a Ύ gun is large enough not to be snickered at but small enough to manhandle around with just a couple of healthy people.
I’d never heard of those “safety” rammers called a Mississippi rammer before. The gun I crewed when I was younger used one. You still hurt the heck out of your hands with a premature ignition, but would far less likely lose them with such a rammer. Authentic or not, I’d never work the muzzle with any other type of rammer.
Good idea, it would make a great display with the gun!
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!

Offline Sunrise

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:04 AM »
A Ύ gun is large enough not to be snickered at but small enough to manhandle around with just a couple of healthy people.

Exactly!!!

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »
yup, that rammer is far more safe than a 'square' one~
and i promised my mom i would be safe with my cannon ;D
"MORE booze!"

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 10:41:19 AM »
This is just a personal point of view, but I think using the "Mississippi" type of rammer on cannons when using a u-shaped safety rammer isn't practical, is really the intelligent/safe way to go.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »
Kaintuck , the more I look at that gun the more I like it .

I think it very nice ...but have you ever thought of a winter project to put a autobody type disk sander to it . That thing has some radiuses and curves that would really shine nice with a nice finish .

Good work !

Gary