Author Topic: Spotting scope help  (Read 321 times)

Offline federali

• Trade Count: (0)
Spotting scope help
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:21:45 AM »
Might anyone recommend a spotting scope in the $100.00-150.00 range to be used solely for target shooting at 100 yards? I bought one of those NcStar 20-60X scopes and the resolution is so poor that I had great difficulty finding 7mm holes at 100 yards. I guess a fool and his money are soon parted.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Spotting scope help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:01:43 PM »
Quite honestly no. Cheap and good are not the same in optics. You should be able to see the holes as well with your scope as with a cheap spotting scope. In fact if you have at least a 9X upper end quality scope you should be able to see your 7MM holes just fine.

I have a Leupold VX-II 3-9 on my R700 LSS .257 Whby Mag and I can see the holes from it thru the rifle scope. I seldom set up my spotting scope anymore as I can pretty much see all the holes at 100 yards thru whatever scopes I'm using that day. Now if I were using only low powered scopes perhaps not but with a 3-9 or more I can.

You'd do better spending your money on a decent lower priced rifle scope like a Mueller say the APV 4.5-14 or something like that and mounting it on a tripod and use it as a spotter than to buy a cheap spotter in same price range. Long years ago my best friend Billy Doss (now deceased) had a Tasco World Class 3-9 set up like that on a cheap tripod and we used it on his 50 meter range and it worked perfectly even with .22 rimfires. He used it at 100 yards as well when he shot that far.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline federali

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Spotting scope help
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:14:15 AM »
Graybeard: What a great idea! I never would have thought of that. Thanks and I'll give it a try.