Author Topic: Making Wheels  (Read 584 times)

Offline Fred the Saxon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Alte Liebe rostet nicht.
Making Wheels
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »
Someone mentioned that they would like to see how I made my howitzer wheels.  First, I would like to relate that some years ago, a nice man named Sgt. O'Riley told me that there is a right way to do things, a wrong way, and the Army way.  There is also the Fred way.  I am fixing to produce my second set of wheels using the same methods this week and am hoping the first wheels were not a fluke.  I have posted some pictures on a web album that you can view here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/jon.cgs/20100607#  As I mentioned in a previous post, the wheelwrights of a couple of hundred years ago had talent, tools, and experience.  I've got Gorilla Glue, some basic handyman tools, and a lot of scraps from other projects.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: Making Wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
Do you have them dished in or out?  It may be an optical illusion but it looks like the spokes are slanted inward?  Either way, my hat is off to you.

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
Thanks for posting the slide show, Fred; you did a fine job on the wheels and carriage.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
I too had a nice man named Seinor Drill Instuctor Staff Sergeant Hunt ,and he told me nearly the same thing .
He meant it too ! No Joke . 8)

I will enjoy watching the Fred way . 8)

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Fred the Saxon

• Alte Liebe rostet nicht.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
Do you have them dished in or out?  It may be an optical illusion but it looks like the spokes are slanted inward?  Either way, my hat is off to you.

rc

They are dished out.  My wife says that it makes the carriage look pigeon-toed.  I did them with the outside down so that I could raise the hub to get the proper angle, nearly.