Author Topic: PSE Nova  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
PSE Nova
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:04:12 PM »
I've got an offer for a trade on a PSE Nova, and wondering if anybody here is familiar with it.  I know PSE is supposed to be a quality product, just looking for some insight into this particular model.  I've not used a compound in some time (been using a homemade longbow), and don't think I can judge it by my old Ben Pearson, with it's six pound weight, 70 pound draw and only about a 30% letoff.   ;) Thanks for your help.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
Re: PSE Nova
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:38:54 AM »
Base model bow, reliable but not overly speedy, depends on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't get carried away on value with a trade.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »
PSE in my experience is not a quality product. I have owned 3 different PSE bows and between them replaced 5 cracked limbs. Have been shooting a Mathews for the past 3 years with no problems at all.

Offline Casull

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:32:28 AM »
PSE in my experience is not a quality product. I have owned 3 different PSE bows and between them replaced 5 cracked limbs. Have been shooting a Mathews for the past 3 years with no problems at all.

That is not a response to my question.  Just because you keep breaking bows does not mean anything.  I've never read anything about PSE bow limbs breaking.   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:49:44 AM »
Many bow manufacturers go thru difficulties with limb construction, most have had limb problems at one time another. It's hard to stress something repetitively that many times and not experience wear and tear, especially when companies are always monkeying with limb design. Bow owners also bear some responsibility for shooting arrows that are too short and too light, causing the bow to absorb more shock vs. the arrow. PSE is a very reputable company that has been around a long time, I wouldn't hesitate to own one of their bows again.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »

That is not a response to my question.  Just because you keep breaking bows does not mean anything.  I've never read anything about PSE bow limbs breaking.   ::)

I n other words don't tell me what you know of PSE, just tell what i want to hear. ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Casull

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:35:44 AM »
I n other words don't tell me what you know of PSE, just tell what i want to hear. 

No, in other words, I don't need to hear yet another Mathews guy badmouthing any bow that's not an overpriced Mathews.   >:(

Sorry, but I was asking about that particular model of bow, not some story about how five out of six limbs broke on his PSE's.  Wonder why he bought the second and then the third bows.   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »
This is my main bow.  Bear in mind it is an entry level bow, but I am very pleased with mine. 70#  31 inch draw.  Easy to tune. I shoot carbon arrows and NAP Thunder 100's.  The "package"  new costs less than $300....sights, quiver and rest.  Invest in a good shock reducing stabilizer, if you get it.  Plan on replacing the string. Hope this helps.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Casull

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »
Base model bow, reliable but not overly speedy, depends on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't get carried away on value with a trade.

This is my main bow.  Bear in mind it is an entry level bow, but I am very pleased with mine. 70#  31 inch draw.  Easy to tune. I shoot carbon arrows and NAP Thunder 100's.  The "package"  new costs less than $300....sights, quiver and rest.  Invest in a good shock reducing stabilizer, if you get it.  Plan on replacing the string. Hope this helps.

Yes, those are helpful posts that addressed my question.  Thanks guys.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Casull

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »
If you guys can stand another question, I was wondering if the string/cable on a PSE is one item.  I haven't shot a compound in about 12 or 13 years, and from the pictures I was sent of the bow, I wasn't able to see any connection points on the string or cable to indicate that they are separate items.  Thanks.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »
I don't have a Nova in hand,but I'm sure the cable and string are separate.

Offline Casull

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 05:51:06 AM »
I don't have a Nova in hand,but I'm sure the cable and string are separate.

I assumed the same, but couldn't see any connection points in the pics (almost looked like one continuous string).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
Casull,

I believe they are seperate.

The nova is a fine bow. It is just not as fast or as quite as some of the newer bows on the market. I have a friend who loves his. Has killed a few deer with it as well. Doubt they could tell the difference when the arrow connected.

I used to be one of those pesky mathews shooters. I went out and got my self one of those X-force bows from PSE and have become a fan of their products. I was not so interested in hyper speeds but using a heavy arrow at a decent speed. Bumped my arrow up to 475 grains and at 280 fps the x-force is just as quite as my SQ2. With the lower speeds my muzzies fly great.
A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Offline Casull

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »
Thanks Kinslayer.  I'd say 280 fps with a 475 grain arrow is pretty fast (compared to my longbow anyway).   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »
Casull,

It is pretty quick but just last year I gave my self an early birthday present and had Jim Belcher build me a long bow and to be quite honest it is so much more fun to shoot than my wheel bow. It took some getting used to and I really punished my left arm untill I got used to shooting it and also got a quality armguard.

It does however cause some difficulty. I am going to Kansas for the first time this november and I am torn as to which bow to hunt with. The long bow is definately a 20 yard bow for me where as my wheel bow I am quite confident out to 40. The idea of taking a big bruiser with my longbow just causes goosebumps to run up my just from thinking about it. I will probably end up taking both and let stand placement be the deciding factor.

Good luck with your Nova should you decide to pursue it.

Offline Big Nasty

• Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 12:33:56 AM »
PSE  " PULL SHOOT EXPLODE" You wanted honesty about your Nova there it is, and that goes for all PSE bow. Or PIECE OF @%#$ EQUIPMENT take your pick. I have taken many a deer with my Jennings grand master.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline Casull

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 06:05:58 AM »
PSE  " PULL SHOOT EXPLODE"

Well, that's useful.   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
Big Nasty,

While I can only speak for the singular PSE that I happen to own, I can say without a doubt it is a quality bow. I have had the bow for well over a year and shot it several hundred times at least and have not as yet had anything "explode". It is just as accurate as my Mathews and while it is not quite as quiet it is more than quiet enough.

And while I own only one...for now....I have several friends who hunt and target shoot with PSEs of different types. I have yet to hear of any issues other than my cousins X-force for some reason after a few shots the lower cam timing would be off. The factory replaced his bow and he now is a PSE fan.

I must ask. How many have you had personally that have "exploded"? Not that I am doubting you I just have not heard anybody complain about PSE as strongly as you did.

Offline Big Nasty

• Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 01:40:57 AM »
Fair question, I came to this determination while at a friends house shooting. We were both standing there I shot, then he drew to shoot I am watching the target and all of a sudden clang. I looked at him he was holding a limp string with a busted riser. At first I thought he just got a bad bow it happens to every manufacturer no biggy. Not after he said "that is it this is the second one in two weeks". At that point I decided against P pieces S scattered E everywhere. It is kinda like Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, ever had any problems with any, did you ever have a preference. Every company has their lemons, it is just how you are effected by them.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline khrhunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
Its a nice beginner bow both my sons started with these in youth models and shot them for years. Not too pricey and pretty durable.
204 Ruger Ultra Fluted
204 RUGER HANDI
223BBL HANDI
223SS HANDI
25/06 HANDI
243 HANDI
20GA H&R
30/30-20 GA H&R COMBO,ALL MY KIDS GREW UP ON IT

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
I have a PSE Nova '98 model. I still have it. Plenty fast and quiet too! I see that PSE has a single cam Nove for the 2010 year. I believe that will be my next bow of many. See, I have 2 martins, 2 missions, and the '98 model PSE. Opps. I almost forgot the Bear showdown. The showdown has been a real good surprise. Although not as fast,it's deadly accurate. ;D
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.