Author Topic: question  (Read 569 times)

Offline deerjackie

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
question
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »
has anyone ever handloaded a bottleneck rifle shell and go by the book on col,oal every instruction with dies,seating primers under flush and the rounds are chambering harder than factory loads. inked the bullet no marks. inked the shoulder and its marking the shoulder pretty good. 25-06 round.rp brass. nothing terrible but i would like to correct it. no crimp by the way. thanks for the help.dj ps  they always shot accurate but i think they should not chamber this way.
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
It sounds like the shoulder is not being set back enough.  I had this situation (only worse because the brass wouldn't chamber at all) with a 300WSM and as a last resort I ground a little steel off the bottom of the sizing die so that the die goes lower over the case and hence sets the shoulder back further.  BTW, this was with new WW brass. 

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
thanks. i handload for several diff calibers and this cal is the only one that gives trouble. chambered hard in friends gun also. i have read instructions time and time again. i have another set of dies just never used rcbs. lee dies aree all i have for every cal. so i will give them a try and see what happens.
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »
tried rcbs dies getting a little better but not like factory ammo. shoots good just dont like bolt closing like it does.something aint right.trimming after resizing to take away any stretch.

Offline 3leggedturtle

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »
All guns are induviduals, start with a fired case and keep turning dies in 1/16 of a turn till it chambers as smoothly as you like it too. Could also have a die with looser or tighter tolerances.  Of course reduce your loads  afterwards and work up again.  I've been lucky only had 1 rifle that was chambered looser than my others, so i kept the brass sparate.  3leg

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »
 that may be part of problem.but i swear i thought this was new brass so i resized ,trimmed and primed it and left in loading tray.they are chambering.just not as loose as a factory round.accurate,but snug.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »
I guess you might say I have that situation with my Remington 700 LSS Limited Edition .257 Whby. Mag. rifle. But then even factory ammo seems to chamber a bit tightly in it. But boy does it ever shoot. Unless I mess up and make a bad shot it's hard to find a load that exceeds an inch at 100 for three shots and groups hovering around a half inch are quite common.

Dunno if the two things are related or not but most all rounds do chamber kinda tightly.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 01:10:30 AM »
You may be pulling the shoulder forward with the expander ball when resizing if you are not lubeing inside the case neck. This is quite common and can be puzzling.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
Lots of factory ammo is made on the lower end of the spec so it will load even in tight chambers.  As mentioned in several of the prior posts, it sounds like your sizing die is not adjust down far enough to bump the shoulder.

I have 100 WSSM on my bench that I just resized.  I had my gun out and actually sized them so they fit and the bolt just closed smoothly.  I had adjusted the die per book when I loaded them the first time, as new, and a few of them were hard to chamber.  This got me really upset because they were hunting rounds and I didn't need that in the field.  I ended up having to sort them and the ones that were harder to close the bolt on were used for sighting in and plinking.  This time I made sure I adjusted my die so every one of them chambers smoothly in MY gun.

I spray my brass with Dillon spray lube.  I also have a little imperial sizing die wax on my index finger and as I place each brass into the press I wipe my finger across the mouth of the case.  This leaves just a spec of lube inside the case mouth which is enough to make the decapping pin and/or sizing button slide in and out real smoothly.

Another suggestion is to seat your bullets per YOUR magazine or per your chamber/rifling.  COL in the book is just a reference.  It may not be optimum for your gun.

Good luck,

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »
A common thing in BAR's.  What rifle are you using?  Does new brass do the same thing?

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
ruger 77

Offline Autorim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
I agree that it seems to be inadequate sizing or stretching the case when pulling the expander back. You can lube the inside of the case necks with powdered graphite and a Q tip. Some presses have enough spring to cause this also. Try to screw the die down a bit more. FWIW- I keep my brass and loaded rounds segregated for each rifle.

Ken

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
got it all taken care of,re adjusted dies changed to lee case lube, no dents no hard chambering. thanks yall