Author Topic: Ol'Coot mak'in some "progressive" changes - HORNADY  (Read 431 times)

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Ol'Coot mak'in some "progressive" changes - HORNADY
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »
Did it.

Had a good stash of Cabela's points, Cabela's had a $30 off on a hundred and fifty dollar order and the "free" Hornady 1000 bullets put me over the top.

So ordered the Hornady Progressive Lock-n-load and 5 shell plates - 9mm, 10mm/40, 38/357, 44 and 45acp.

Have loaded for a long time, even thought about a Dillon Square Deal B a few times, but didn't like the dies that only worked on that press and the cost for changing calibers especially when I already had dies.

So, will probably have a bunch of questions for you L-N-L users after the set up gets here.

Now the question is, which "free" bullets am I going to order when the paper work gets here, and will I need to build a new mounting plate for my under bench tool mounting system?

Probably come down to the .45acp, but time will tell.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Darrell Davis

Re: Ol'Coot mak'in some "progressive" changes - HORNADY
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:59:05 AM »
OK,

here is the first question --------------------------

Looking at the Hornady web site this morning and ------------

It appears I will need to buy some "lock-n-load" bushing for my current, non lock-n-load dies.

OR, will some bushing come to enable me to use my current dies, even if I need to switch dies and bushings back and forth?

Comments please!

Want to get those ordered and on the way if that is correct.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
The idea behind the bushings is that you set up the die and do not take it out of the bushing for a quick way of re-inserting it back without adjustment.
Here are some things I have done with my older Hornady progressive presses
I have been using a Hornady progressive press since the Projector first came out, about 1986 I believe or just before.
I reloade for various reasons, saving cash is one. I have made a few modifications on the cheep
A CO2 container that is empty from a pellet gun makes a fast way to empty the unused powder from the measure, just cut both ends off

Note the old computer floppy disk storage that holds the shell plates in an orderly fashion.

How much do guys pay for a "strong mount" ?!? A trip to the local metal fabricator and I found a short piece of 8" rectangle tube for one of my presses, a left over piece of I beam for the other. just drill holes and paint and you save enough for more than a pound of powder. I wanted to raise my press up to a comfortable height for when I am sitting on a bar stool type of chair. I was not after strength, my bench top is 2X4 lumber on edge glued and nailed then ran through a large factory belt sander. You may also notice I found a roller lever on a piece of junk machinery and welded it onto the proper size bolt for a custom handle that reduced fatigue.

A rod with a mark, or light weight makes a good primer follower and provides a visual for primer level

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:07:44 AM »
Thanks Hairtrigger!

I realize the lock-n-load bushings are to allow for fast change overs.

However, coinsidering I have used a single stage press for many years, and the fact that the loading process itself will be greatly shortened with the progressive, I am not presently so concerned with the time taken up changing some bushings on dies to allow for the use with the lock-n-load press.

Adapter bushing for all handgun dies is the way to go in the long run, but short term, just getting set up is the big thing.

I do need to be able to use my current dies - handgun - in the new press and am wondering if some adapters come with the press or do I need to order some adapter bushings ASAP!

Thanks for the tips!

But, if you could help with the immeadiate question that would also help a bunch.  This is new country for this Ol'Coot

The new press should be here next week and even if I need to put in a bit of shop time -  hour +/-  - to get a new set of mounts made for my underbench reciever system, that part of the set up should happen quickly.

Sure would like to see it operate with a minimum of "wait time" if there are no adapter bushing included with the new press.

Thanks,

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »
Hairtrigger,

Looking again at your post.  Like the solid bench!

When I readied the "new digs" for use, I built a solid bench using 2X4s screwed into the 2X6 exterior wall studs.  then glued and screwed down a layer of good 3/4" plywood to the plywood - NO "CRUMB BOARD or WAS WOOD".

Then a second layer of plywood went down, again glued and screwed to the 2x4s and first layer of plywood.

This bench runs full length of one wall in the "reloading room" - wife calls it the "hobby or sewing room" and I guess I should be happy she still lets me through the door

This bench/work table is shared with my wife in our common area, so the bench is toped with formica and the edge is faced with oak trim.

Under the bench, located at about every four feet is a knee brace.  This bench is like yours, very!!! solid.

Under the bench and bolted throught the double plywood before the formica was installed is a reciever system alowing for mounting my loading tools as well as some positional changes - left to right.

So, this bench is usable with common kitchen chairs rather then the stools I have always used for years past.

For that reason, I will be able to adjust the height of the new press, as needed, by fabricating the male portion of the reciever set up to whatever height is needed.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

300 Winmag

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »
A solid bench is the key to reliable, consistant powder drops and also to a point it helps the auto indexing, you put pressure on the handle in both directions, down to size, up to seat primers.
One set of bushings can be used over and over, I am guessing a set comes with the press?

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:46:27 AM »
Thanks again Hairtrigger.

Hope you are correct on the bushings.

If not, will just go to plan #2 and order some.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag