Author Topic: Hornady FTX 265GRN .430 in a 44 mag Handy  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Jack Ryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hornady FTX 265GRN .430 in a 44 mag Handy
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »
Hornady FTX 265GRN .430 in a 44 mag Handy rifle.

I'd like to try reloading these for my 44 mag handi and was wondering if any one else has tried them. The regular 44 mag jacketed bullets are .429 and my rifle isn't one with an over size bore. Kind of nervous about pressure issues and such but this has a lot better ballistic coefficient, almost double. It just seems like a natural in the rifle except for that extra .001".

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
Re: Hornady FTX 265GRN .430 in a 44 mag Handy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »
JACK,

Sounds like a great combo! I bought some FTX bullets to load in my .450 Marlin Guide Gun, but I stopped short since I had to trim the brass back so much. This would not be an issue in your Handi, and should work great. Let us know whichpowder you chose and what your results were please.

Good luck

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »
I've only had this handi a little while and shot it a few times.

I've loaded some regular 240 JHP with 17grn of Blue Dot and I really like the targets I shot with that but I saw these pointed bullets for a 44 and just had to try them. I switched to pointed bullets in my 30-30 Marlin one time and man it really made that gun perform. These have twice the BC as the 240 JHP but I don't have any load data for them let alone loads with Blue Dot.

Right now I've got Red Dot, Blue Dot, Green dot, Unique, 2400, 748, that I can remember to choose  from.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Check your friendly reloading manual for the closest bullet weight (or contact Hornady for loading info).  Regardless, start low, work up slowly, and watch for pressure signs.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:09:44 AM »
It seems to me you are operating under a rather common misconception, that being that pointed nose bullets with slightly higher BCs are always a good thing. They really are not.

FN, RN or spire point it makes darn little difference inside 250 yards. Only at much longer ranges say 300 yards and over does it really matter. Your .44 magnum is NOT a 300 yard rifle and putting a pointed bullet in it will not make it into one. Forget the idea and just use conventional bullets for it.

Should you insist on persuing this plan the only powders you have worthy of use are Unique and 2400 neither of which are ideal and better choice would really be W296/H110. Still it's an exercise in futility based on a false misconception.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 02:42:07 AM »
Graybeard,

I was actually thinking of buying some 200 grain FTX's in .45 Colt recently to shoot out of a Handi rifle but then I checked some of the other bullets and noticed that according to Hornady's website the 240 grain XTP/MAG actually has a slightly better ballistic coefficient than the pointy FTX's! I'll be sticking with the hollow points especially since I never get shots that far anyway.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
It seems to me you are operating under a rather common misconception, that being that pointed nose bullets with slightly higher BCs are always a good thing. They really are not.
I'd NEVER say "always". My motive to TRY them is based on the FACT it made a huge difference in the accuracy of my Marlin 30-30 lever action when using hollow point boat tail target bullets instead of flat nose.

FN, RN or spire point it makes darn little difference inside 250 yards. Only at much longer ranges say 300 yards and over does it really matter. Your .44 magnum is NOT a 300 yard rifle and putting a pointed bullet in it will not make it into one. Forget the idea and just use conventional bullets for it.
Already bought 'em now, I'm gonna shoot 'em one way or another. I'll at least learn SOMETHING from $35 worth of bullets even if it's just ask Greybeard first.

I know for a fact going from smaller bullets to the 240 grain made a big difference in a whole lot less than 250 yards, less than 100 in fact.

Never thought it was a 300 yard gun. I'm in fact impressed with what it will do at 100, 150 is as far as I've EVER shot at a deer but now I'll learn what the absolute best it can do is and I'll not hesitate to call BS on these guys who think they are 300 yard hand gunners just because Jeff Cooper happened to get lucky with a 44 mag once.

Should you insist on persuing this plan the only powders you have worthy of use are Unique and 2400 neither of which are ideal and better choice would really be W296/H110. Still it's an exercise in futility based on a false misconception.

I've had worse than that suggested before.

Running the ballistics comparisons of the two there's not much to be gained or lost trajectory wise but over all accuracy may show some promise. Just a matter of loading a few to find out.
http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?&page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 03:38:05 PM »
Should you insist on persuing this plan the only powders you have worthy of use are Unique and 2400 neither of which are ideal and better choice would really be W296/H110.

I dunno, 2400 would probably be just fine.  Not necessarily as good a choice as W296/H110, but not a bad choice.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
Jeff Cooper couldn't hit a bull in the butt at 50 yards much less 300. It was Elmer Keith and the distance was more like 600 yards.

I can't speak to what your barrel will prefer as to accuracy and who knows the 265s might be the most accurate in your gun. All I was addressing was that the improved BC claimed is not gonna buy you anything at distances the .44 magnum is useable.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 07:10:37 PM »
Yeah, yeah yer right on the JC/EK story, that's the way I heard it to now you've called me on it. I never gave it any credence regardless of who it is. Even if it were true they don't talk about all the animals they wounded and missed to get to that one they could brag on or what ever. My biggest gripe with is is dummies who believe it and then think they can do it.

Probably not, but I'll find out.

I've not read any one saying, "I did it. It sucked." yet. Just guesses so far and all I'm doing is "guessing" what I THINK MIGHT happen but when I'm done I'll be able to say, "I did it. This happened and how when I tried this."

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:11:57 AM »
You really aren't very well informed regarding Elmer's famous or infamous shot are you? He shot more in a year than most do in a life time. He practiced not on game but on targets of all sorts even rocks at long range. He became quite good at it. I too have done some really long range handgun shooting also on targets NEVER ON GAME. It's really not that difficult once you figure the hold over needed.

The deer he shot was already wounded by a rifle hunter who asked for Elmer's help in stopping it from getting away. He didn't hit it each shot but did hit it multiple times and yeah it was witnessed. He didn't recommend such shooting on unwounded game but once someone has already wounded one you do whatever is required to bring it down. Ya really should gain some knowledge rather than just spewing BS you know nothing of.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »
I read about it once. I didn't find it that impressive. Didn't see any reason to memorize it.

"Nice shot. Not many could have done it."

Now what? Like you said... wouldn't recomend it, wouldn't suggest any one try it... so now, what use is the incident?

I hit a pop can stuck on a weed from one hundred yards once with the first shot from a bow and arrow. So what? I put the bow away and it was the one and only shot I took with it that day. Doesn't mean diddly.

I don't really see what you are getting at, it's impossible for a 44 mag rifle to ever be a 300 yard gun in any configuration or variety of reload IN MY HANDS, but some how 44 mag hand gun in some one named Elmer Keith was like a magic wand at 600 yards? I'm no magician, I don't think Elmer Keith was either. That's all I'm saying.

The money is spent, the bullets are laying there useless other wise, I'm going to see what I can  make them do, I wondered if any one else here had already "invented that wheel". That's really about all it's about on my end. If Elmer made his 600 yard shot with Hornady 265 grain pointed bullets I'd be more interested.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
Hornady offers the .430" 225gr FTX component bullet now.

Tim

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Cal-.430-225-gr-FTX/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain