Author Topic: NEF Sportster .22WMR and various brands and types of ammo!!  (Read 819 times)

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
NEF Sportster .22WMR and various brands and types of ammo!!
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »
I have been doing a tad bit more testing with my .22WMR and have come to this conclusion:
My .22WMR LOVES anything with the Winchester name on it and dislikes anything with CCI on it!!
I thought about getting a better scope for this rifle too, but the Bushnell 3-9x40mm has been working pretty well so far!

I guess I can keep the CCI around for testing with (hopefully) other future .22WMR purchases or use it as plinking ammo! :)

I have tried Winchester Super X 28gr JHP Tin, Winchester Supreme 32gr JHP and Winchester Dynapoint 45gr all the way out to 200 yards. They seem to group similarly at various yardages, i.e. 28 highest, 32 gr middle and 45gr low, but at least all are in a vertical set every time!  I found the 32 grain is DEAD ON at 200 yds, while the 28 gr is high and the 45 gr is low. 

It's fun having an accurate .22WMR! :)

I was considering looking at a .204 Ruger for varminting, til I found out the capabilities of this 28gr bullet too!  If I'm high at 200 now, I might be zeroed at 250 I'm suspecting with the way I have it sighted currently. 

I'm pretty happy with the results so far and plan on doing a lot more shooting and hunting this winter with this setup!
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline Cottonwood

• "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Re: NEF Sportster .22WMR and various brands and types of ammo!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 01:17:10 AM »
Thanks for the report, sure gives me a good place to start with mine now.  ;D

Offline dwalk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
i think many tend to underate the .22 WMR as a decent varmint round.

i have the NEF sportser with a .22 WMR barrel and a CZ 452 in .22 WMR...both of which tend to be VERY accurate out to two-hundred yards. (i've never tried them farther than that.)
don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Offline Cottonwood

• "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:02:05 AM »
Well yesterday I picked up a box of the CCI Maxi Mag TMJ just to get mine sighted in with, so we'll see how it goes today.

Our local stores here have either the CCI Maxi Mag TMJ, JHP ($9.99 to $12.99 a box) or the Remington 33 gr AccuTip-V bullets (about $16.99 a box)

So I just want to get mine on paper today, and get it sighted in as good as I can.  Maybe I have one that likes CCI, but I don't know unless I give it a try  ::)

Offline Plainsman

• Contributor
Montanan, Good luck!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
Good luck with your sighting in!  I hope you are able to find a load that works respectably in your rifle tomorrow!  I tried part of a box of the Remington's but don't remember how well it went, have to look at my notes.  I'll try to find them and get back to you over the weekend. Have fun shooting!
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"