Author Topic: small hardware for model cannons  (Read 1082 times)

Offline leix26

• Trade Count: (0)
small hardware for model cannons
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for small square head bolts or any other
hardware that would be useful in making model cannons? And I did check the
references at the top but did not find anything.
Thanks,
Tim

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: small hardware for model cannons
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »
You sure you checked the internet resource list under Hardware-Carriage Hardware, Bolts, Square nuts, Eyebolts?  At least two of the links lead directly to square nuts

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
I suppose it depends on what sizes you want but I have been able to get square head nuts from even chain stores like Lowe's and Ace Hardware.  They aren't hanging on the pegs but in the drawers below.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »
leix26,
let us know your needs.  We have a great selection of hardware but haven't had the time to put it together.  We may have what you need.
Len
DICW

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 04:23:22 PM »
Lendi do you want me to add that to your sponsor blip?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »
Lendi,
I remember when Double D was remodeling his naval carriage he was looking for clevis pin and shackle bolts for the breeching rope, and you made a post saying that you had them in bronze. It would be great if you had photos of the different pieces of hardware that you offer, and the sizes they come in. I for one would be very interested in seeing them.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:31:55 PM »
 McMaster-Carr is generally where I look for things that the hardware store doesn't carry...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

This place is sometimes helpful for small quantities of hardware/material for the tinkerer...

http://www.smallparts.com/?gclid=CL7g8Kukip4CFQ0aawodRjPcsg
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 12:01:50 AM »
Lendi , have you got a website ? and would you mail to U.K. ?
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline leix26

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 01:27:21 AM »
Thanks for the links. I checked them all and they are all to big. I can find the nuts in a smaller size but
not the bolts. I am making a small howitzer barrel (outside dimensions aprox. 2" x 7") and want to put
it on a field type carriage. I am looking for square head bolts and nuts with a HEAD of 1/4" or less and
aprox. 2.5-2.75" long. And would prefer plain or black finish.
Thanks,
Tim

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 02:42:32 AM »
We will have info with photos by year's end.  I will keep you posted. If you are looking for something specific email me at len@dicannonworks.com and I will get back to you.
Thanks
Len
DICW

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 03:39:38 AM »
Thanks for the links. I checked them all and they are all to big. I can find the nuts in a smaller size but
not the bolts. I am making a small howitzer barrel (outside dimensions aprox. 2" x 7") and want to put
it on a field type carriage. I am looking for square head bolts and nuts with a HEAD of 1/4" or less and
aprox. 2.5-2.75" long. And would prefer plain or black finish.
Thanks,
Tim

Check with jewelry and clock makers supplies and model railroad suppplies.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »
bolt depot has square nuts in just about any size you might want.

I have used their stainless square nuts in everything I have built, along with stainless rod that I threaded myself. A square nut goes on either end of the rod, so I never had a need to find a square headed bolt.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »
Welcome to the board, Leix26.

Like GGaskill said, you can even find some small square head bolts at the local hardware store. This fantasy carriage I made is for an 11-inch barrel, and the studs on the steps are square head bolts I got at Ace. I filed the sides down to make them smaller, and filed the four sides on the top to make four sided pyramids. If you've got "junk bins" like most of the rest of us, you can probably find all kinds of things in there to use on a small carriage. The eyes for the side tackle on this carriage are actually made from two old rifle stock fore-end sling swivels that I shaped with files. Like Double D said, the home-made jewelry sections at hobby stores have some useful stuff. I got the chain and jump rings that hold the cap square keys for this carriage at a Hobby Lobby. That chain is exactly what I was looking for, and I've got the package in front of me: 60'' CABLE CHAIN STERLING SILVER PLATED, and I think the price was something like $3.99. The chain is plated steel and I used Birchwood Casey's Perma-Blue to blacken the plating. The brass sqaure nuts for the brass all thread rod that hold the cheeks to the bed aren't nuts. I looked everywhere, hobby stores, and hardwhere stores, nobody had them. Yeah, you can find them on the net: India - minimum order of 2500, or whatever it was; sure no problem, I'll use the eight I need, and the rest can be buried with me. Those nuts are actually the square bases of brass sights that are used for compound bows in archery; the female thread in the base is the exact size I needed to fit the all thread, so I hacksawed the base filed it smooth, and there were my nuts.

Victor; your right about McMaster Carr (and some other outfits like Reid Supply Co. A Division of Reid Entities, and I've got this huge hard cover book from MSC Industrial Supply Co., called "the big book metalworking, maintenance & MORE") having stuff that would be useful for artillery carriages, but that would probably be for larger scale carriages, because I looked, and I couldn't find eye bolts, or other parts that were small enough to be of use on this carriage.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
Irishman, one of our sponsors has these in the for sale section.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,157045.0.html
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium