Author Topic: 24-Pounder Flank Howitzers  (Read 383 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
24-Pounder Flank Howitzers
« on: November 14, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »
   24-pdr Flank Howitzers

Click on Artillery at the top of the page for information on other Civil War cannons.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 24-Pounder Flank Howitzers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I think where he presents documented info which it is in most cases, the author does well by us.  I found one case where I don't know that I could agree with him however:

Of note, the trunnion diameter and rimbase spacing (at 12.8 inches nearly two inches shorter than a 12-pdr Siege Gun) did not allow the howitzer to use any of the standard siege gun carriages.  Also the preponderance (the excess weight of the rear of the piece) was 70 pounds – half that of the 24-pdr Field Howitzer, and even lighter than the 12-pdr Field Howitzer (which had a 90 pound preponderance).   These last two details indicate the weapon was designed for use on a specific mounting within fortifications, in cramped quarters, where rapid training and elevation were called for.    

The part in bold is what doesn't necessarily make sense to me, and I cannot see how he deduced that from the foregoing.  This is a small point, in view of the good info he's presented.  I could get into more detail but it really isn't worth the trouble.

His table also has a small typo, I think he wanted to have 70 lbs. for preponderance of the weapon, not 7.0.