Author Topic: First Deer with Huntsman  (Read 1007 times)

Offline carp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
First Deer with Huntsman
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:38:23 PM »
I was hunting out of a box stand nestled on the edge of a oak bottom facing a field with a small section that had just been planted with oats. A strip of oak trees ran the length of the field separating it from the cutover on my right side. I had hunted the same stand that morning and had seen a buck dogging a doe but too far off to get a good look. That evening I had been giving a series of grunts during the last hour of light when I caught a glimpse through holes in the oaks of a couple of deer running through the cut over going from left to right. A little while later I caught a glimpse of a bigger bodied deer going from right to left. After 20 or so minutes a doe poked her head through the oak strip and then back in again then came out of the trees and was heading down the oats quickly toward me. Then two more deer popped out and headed toward me. By the time I figured out I needed to shoot the lead doe, she was concealed by some branches right next to the stand. I then decided to shoot one of the younger does because I was aiming on getting a good start on filling the freezer. Light was fading fast and as I was lining up on one of the does another deer busted out of the oaks and I could tell by the body it was a buck. I quickly shifted the crosshairs to his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. After the smoked cleared, I heard some crashing and then silence. The other three deer were still there as I reloaded and I hoped to shoot another one but as I closed my rifle, they took off. I got down and went to look for signs of a hit. I went to where I thought he was when I shot and started walking down the fence line toward the stand and there he was, my first muzzleloader deer. I have owned four muzzle loading rifles and this was the first deer I had ever shot at with one over approx. 15 years. Glad it was with the Huntsman!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: First Deer with Huntsman
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
Nice deer and good shooting! These ML are fun, I enjoy my Sidekick and took my first deer with  ML last year, a 10pt. no less.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Reese

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
Congrats, patience paid off.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
Congrats Carp! Nice deer.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
Congratulations carp! 8) Hope that is the first of many. What load or mods were you using?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
nice deer.  I have the week off to hunt muzzleloading season here in new york.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline carp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:25:43 AM »
Congratulations carp! 8) Hope that is the first of many. What load or mods were you using?

No mods yet. Shooting 2, 50 grain Pyrodex pellets, 250 grain shockwave bullet and Win. 777 primer. I do have a M.U. breech plug on order. ;D

Offline covejeepsxj

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:08:19 AM »
No mods yet. Shooting 2, 50 grain Pyrodex pellets, 250 grain shockwave bullet and Win. 777 primer. I do have a M.U. breech plug on order. ;D

Exact load I am shooting with the MU Plug. You are gonna love it.

Offline GLHolmes

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 04:48:16 AM »
I too got my first muzzleloader deer (doe) with the Huntsman...pure pleasure!

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
Thats awesome. Nice deer and good hunting. I love my sidekick, espicially when I shoot next to a T/C at the range and the other guy ask me what that is and how much did I pay!

Offline bjgolfnut

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 04:54:40 AM »
Hey,      Congrats on your first.  It must be nice hunting in a short sleeve shirt ;D.

Live Long and Prosper, Bruce
Live Long and Prosper,  BRUCE
NRA Life Member