Author Topic: Second try L'gun  (Read 581 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Second try L'gun
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »
Is L' gun only a pistol powder or can it be used in a .44 mag Marlin or a Ruger auto.  The reason I ask is that neither its manufacturer or Hornady show it for use in a rifle, it is only listed as a pistol powder by both these sources.  Could this have anything to do with the rumor  that it burns too hot and erodes your barrel. I personally doubt it but don't really know.  Please answer this question only if you have first hand knowledge or can present documentation for second hand info.

RJ

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Second try L'gun
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
Check out www.marlinowners.com , they have a lot of folks that use Lil Gun in their rifles that shoot pistol bullets.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline buddybelt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »
It might just be me, but I tried some lil'gun in my 44 handi rifle and it looked like the brass had been put in front of a torch. I wasn't loading them hot either, I even reduced the loads and still the same results.  I finally went back to my 2400.

Now having said that, I love lil'gun for my 357 mag handi rifle with 180 gr hornady xtps.

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
Lil'gun was originally designed for the .410 shotgun, so it is first and foremost a shotgun powder.  That said, I don't reload .410 shotshells, so I've never used it for that.

I have used it in my .22 K-Hornet (21" Contender Carbine) with some success.  I've also used it in .45 Colt both from my 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk and my Rossi lever-action rifle.  I lack a chronograph, so I couldn't tell you anything about velocities, but accuracy was satisfactory.

So, if you're shooting a cartridge that would take Lil'gun in a handgun, I can't think of a reason not to use it in that same cartridge out of a rifle.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 01:26:02 AM »
There really aren't so much pistol and rifle powders even tho they are kinda stated that way. What works in one works in the other if both are chambered to the same round.

I tried Lil' Gun in a few .44 Mags and never took a liking to it. For me it gave less accuracy than W296/H110 and 2400 so I now use it only in .410 shotshells tho I do have a batch of .357 mags loaded up with it using Jerry Lester's favorite load. I've not gotten around to shooting them yet so am not sure how I'll like it there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »
I agree w GB. Use the powders according to the cartridge not the arm its fired in. 

I have used Lil Gun in 41 mag for my revolvers and my Marlin.  Worked fine.  But I have way more experience with H110 and 2400 and a bigger supply of each. They all work in all my 41s long and short.

When a powder mfr talks about rifle powder I think they mean for cartridges usually fired in rifles, usually bottle neck cases or long straight walled cases.

Pistol / hand gun powders are for shorter cartridges usually fired in hand guns.

Look in the loading manuals.  You won't see much difference in powders for a given cartridge regardless of the gun that fires it.
HTH.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »
Is L' gun only a pistol powder or can it be used in a .44 mag Marlin or a Ruger auto.  The reason I ask is that neither its manufacturer or Hornady show it for use in a rifle, it is only listed as a pistol powder by both these sources. RJ

Sorry RJ, Hodgdon do list L'il Gun as a rifle powder, but for the smaller centerfires, not the large bores.