Author Topic: my in progress shorty 12  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: my in progress shorty 12
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »
Well, I went to the local shop and picked up the NEF single shot 12ga.  It looks like it is a 1995 model with the 2nd letter in the prefix being "J".

My plan will be to cut it down and thread the barrel for screw in chokes so I can install a rifled choke and also install either rifle sights or a scope rail where I would top it with either a red dot or some other wide angle low power scope.

The gun is in great shape and the bore is bright and shiny.

I got it for $75 out the door.  Looks like new ones are $125 in my area.  I remember when these things sold new for $49....

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
just reporting my progress , i ordered a store arm and a survivor stock from midway . i am thinking the 12 gauge barrel will just get a bead sight installed and maybe threaded for chokes as i will not beable to deer hunt this year do to moveing to far away from my firends land . so it will mostly be used as a 410 .

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »

My shorty put together from stuff from my junk box  barrel cut to 20 inches with tubing cutters  (choke was cut off it when I got it)
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
nice than you for sharing :) .Its always fun, and rewarding when you can dig though parts and built something usefull .

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 01:20:56 AM »
 I like it. Everyone needs a shorty ;)

Lonny

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 12:28:33 PM »
new stocks came in , very impressed how sturdy there are and how well they fit . i will get some pics up in a few , but for nowi have a few questions . what is the sling swivel type thing at the bottom of the pistol grip for ? what is some gear you guys keep in your personal survivor stocks ? and what is the thread size of the .410 barrels bead i would like to replace it with a bigger bead , or maybe a fiber optic one .

i cant wait to get out and shoot it , but I don't know when i will be-able to . hopefully on Friday i can get some shooting time  .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
I like it. Everyone needs a shorty ;)

Lonny

GOOD ADVICE!!!  I'll add that one is never enough!!!  ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 12:20:57 AM »
You could use it for saving the change that you will need when you want to replace it with a regular adult synthetic. The survivor stock is light and hard. you'l see what I mean when you shoot it. The good news here is you'll be able to sell it quickly here in the classifieds if my guess is right. Have fun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »
it will be very uncofortable with the 12 gauge barrel , but 95% of the time it wears my .410 barrel . i am hopeing to get another nef to set up for 12 gauge .

At gander mountian when i was buying my .22lr i saw a 12 gauge nef smooth bore slung gun with a wooded butt stock that held shells simalar to the speed feed stocks .its was in good shape and was $130 , the model was ultra light slug gun or something like that . any word on that gun ? its a nef so i am sure it is reliable but was it a special model or a custom job ?

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 01:46:51 PM »
 Cool guns for sure. I just got a 410 back that I had chopped. Have to use slugs around here. Had the barrel cut back to 19", drilled and tapped for scope mount, I added a reddot and youth synthetic stocks. Im letting a co-workers son hunt with it this weekend (youth season)

I have 12 gauge that I will be working on, the 1st gun I ever bought, back when they did sell for 49.00 (haha)

I may try the JB weld trick for the sights.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »
  I'll have to weigh mine, but will be suprised if its over 4.5lbs. Yea it kicks, so what. Its a single shot, its not intended for rapid fire.  ;D ;) Like most guns, I'll bet you won't even remember it going off when the cards are on the table.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »
i agree about not felling the recoil when shooting at game . long story short the doe i took last year with my muzzle loader was broadside but in a spot i had to shoot it right handed (im a lefty) i have practiced doing that , but not with my new flip open scope covers and lower scope mounts ..... i managed to break my nose I made a great shot though :) lol .  and did not notice until my hunting buddy said something .

Offline van7559

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
when you guys are measuring the barrel before you cut, were are you measuring from? Wher the bullet enters the barrel, or what? I want to cut down my 20, but want ot be legal so I can carry it in the woods too.
I love my family first, but my guns and hunting are a damn close second

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 02:24:52 AM »
The ATF will measure it from the breech face. Be sure you don't cut the barrel shorter than 18" and the overall length of the gun is 26". Most folks leave an extra 1/2" or so just to be safe.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »
Quote from: Markus link=topic=185154.msg 1098932121#msg 1098932121 date=1257600292
The ATF will measure it from the breech face. Be sure you don't cut the barrel shorter than 18" and the overall length of the gun is 26". Most folks leave an extra 1/2" or so just to be safe.

Correct, close the barrel, insert something down the barrel and measure length. Its total BARREL LENGTH. the extra length is just for insurance that YOUR ruler matches there RULER.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline aflineman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 08:50:58 AM »
Looks nice! Should be a handy truck gun.

I really enjoy this one. My little "Grouse Getter". ;D Sits in a bag in the trunk of the car (with some other hunting/fishing gear). Anytime I get a break, and I find an area to hunt or fish, this stuff is handy.
Have lights? Thank a Lineman!

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
  I'll have to weigh mine, but will be suprised if its over 4.5lbs. Yea it kicks, so what. Its a single shot, its not intended for rapid fire.  ;D ;) Like most guns, I'll bet you won't even remember it going off when the cards are on the table.

CW
The gun I posted the picture of weighs 4.5 pounds
roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 12:16:10 AM »
forgot to post this .

weights about 4.5 lbs ..... still have not be able to shoot it . need to get out and shoot but am stuck in the city , arg ...