Author Topic: phasing out lead?  (Read 900 times)

Offline triggermortis

• Trade Count: (0)
phasing out lead?
« on: October 17, 2003, 03:58:54 AM »
I saw part of a show last night on the history channel about ammunition, and some military and civilian people were talking about their 'leadless' and nearly leadless ammo, and that the military planned to eliminate lead by 2008.  They kept mentioning 'environment' thru the show.
   Does anyone out there in the casting business feel a threat, or do you feel that recreational lead bullets will be around for a long time?  I personally don't feel that home casters like myself have anything to worry about yet, but i'm really glad that i have a lifetime supply of wheelweights in my garage to stumble over everytime i go in there.  i cuss those heavy buckets all the time, but i'm slowly getting them converted to ingots.  
   If lead bullets are ever outlawed in public areas (like lead shot), i'll feel very fortunate that i own my own place in the country to shoot.  

T. Mortis
Your worst day off beats your best day at work.

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
I saw it too...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 06:26:11 AM »
Pretty intresting,but I do wonder how our soldiers are going to deal with an enemy they can't disable/kill because their ammo is not hitting with the same momentum...I believe it is a mistake.  :(
John 3:16

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

phasing out lead?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 07:06:55 AM »
Out of concern for the environment the military is switching from lead to uranium! :shock:
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
No lead
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 08:21:13 PM »
I can see that it is time to get my cornbread stick mold out and start making the rounds of the tire companies.  Man I hate this stuff.  I am so politically incorrect I should have been born 150 years ago.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline FAStevo

phasing out lead?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 03:18:26 PM »
The Army is switching over to a  powdered tungsten matrix. I have to believe the public sector can not be far off. If they can't outlaw the guns they will make them too expensive to shoot. I believe  Sen. Schumer? made a remark some years ago about taxing shooters and the firearms industry out of business. As a side note using tungsten in bullets is not only expensive but also puts us at the mercy of the Chinese the largest Tungsten supplier in the world.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
phasing out lead?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 05:34:14 PM »
several years ago there was a congressional hearing on the dangers of lead in the environment.Senator Feinstein and others supported a bill to limit the use of lead in wheel weights and other areas(paint ,etc.). A small side benefit would be prohibiting HOME CASTERS of bullets a source of material. Even fishing sinkers were to be made of a non lead material.
  If you want to keep casting and shooting lead you better keep a closer eye on who you send to Washington D. C.!
   Oh yea ,Trigger, the bill even included possession fines and penalties.!
They'd love to get you as a possible terrorist threat(WHY ELSE WOULD HE NEED all THAT LEAD??? And he was making BULLETS!)
  Sorry ,I'm just being schizoid.  jh

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
phasing out lead?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 05:57:47 PM »
I noticed several years ago that they were converting over to zink in the wheel weights. Talk about screwing up a pot of casting mix!!! Some of the tire places are even saying that they can't sell the stuff to ya because of the hazmat.